Outdoor wireless bridge between two buildings

I have to bridge two buildings approx 500m apart. They have clear line of sight over an unused field (the owner of field won't allow us to run fibre) and the wap devices will be sited pointing at each other on top of two 10m lighting masts.

The access points will be power over ethernet and ip66 rated for outdoor use and I need general reliability. It will be used to share a 2mb leased line and a domain controller/file server in the main building.

Anyone have any recommendations on specific access points for this purpose?

I have been looking at:-

formatting link

Reply to
jas0n
Loading thread data ...

A Linksys WRT54G and WAP54G under white five gallon paint buckets would be a darn tad cheaper and just as effective over 1,500 ft. *LOS* - even when simply mounted on a twelve foot roof. You could even do a poor man's POE by splicing the unused ethernet pairs to the walwart.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

Yes, indeed ... ;) - I use the wap54g's as our general access points which have proved effective.

Although this has to be done at least to some sort of standard as its for a national company that is heavily concerned with safety, procedures & red tape.

Also, budget is highly flexible - as in, get it done & providing it works it will be a better solution than the adsl line they were originally going to put in and vpn through to the file server, way too slow.

I'll probably be putting in a ups on each end for the poe too, either that or use the flexible budget to get our first poe switches which are hooked up to psu's on the server room side anyway.

Reply to
jas0n

Then have a licensed electrician run conduit to where you need the AP mounted. Have him install one of those big grey outdoor rated electrical boxes.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

a couple of Cisco boxes

formatting link

Reply to
stephen

Thats not needed with the outdoor ip66 rated ap's with built in power over ethernet.

It will be an electrician doing the cabling using external grade cat5e but no need for additional power feed when you can just run the one cable which covers it all.

Reply to
jas0n

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.