WLAN in and between two buildings - solutions?

Hello,

I'm planning to share an internet connection wirelessly. I've made a sketch that can be seen on

formatting link
I want to have WLAN in both buildings. The internet connectoin comes from a cable modem in the small building. All parts of the buildings must be covered (some computers are in the corners). Haven't worked much with WLAN and would like some suggestions.

I considered a range expander/repeater, but since they cut bandwidth in half, I don't think it's an option.

I also considered to use a coaxial cable, that happens to be in-place between the buildings already. Would it be possible to put a wireless router at the cable modem, connect some kind of splitter to the coaxial antenna-connection on the router, then connect one of the splitter outputs to an antenna, to provide coverage in the small building, and the other output to the coaxial cable between the buildings, and have an antenna in the other end of the coaxial cable in the big building? There's a garage half-way on the coaxial cable, there it would be possible to put a booster if neccessary.

A third alternative could be to put an antenna on the small building, pointing at the big building. Would that provide coverage enough in the big building? A drawback with this soultion is that I would have to do some work laying out a cable through the small building.

All suggestions and ideas are welcome.

Regards, Carl

Reply to
Carl
Loading thread data ...

Carl hath wroth:

Only 40 meters between buildings? Run wires between buildings. Install one access point in each building.

At 40 meters, you might be able to do this with one wireless access point. If the building is fairly RF transparent, might be possible.

No. Please don't do that. You have the wires, use them.

Yes, it would be possible to pass 2.4GHz down the coaxial cable. TCI/Comcast experimented with such a system. I've used RG-6/u for antenna coax. The problem is that it's very lossy. You will need some very expensive bi-directional amplifiers. Not recommended.

It really depends on what's in the walls of the big building. If you have aluminum foil backed insulation, it may not work. At 40 meters, it's worth trying.

The "right" way to do this is to use two access points, one in each building. Note that you can use a wireless router as an access point. Instructions on request.

| | |10/100 | |wireless | |cable modem | |Ethernet | |access | |and router |=====cat 5=====|Switch |=====cat 5====|point #1 | | | | |cat5 | | | |wireless | | |access | | |point #2 |

The channels on the two access points should be different (1, 6, or 11 for US). However, the SSID can be the same or different depending on whether you want seamless roaming, or manually decide which access point to connect.

Another possibility is to simply use the existing coax cable for

10base2 ethernet. If it's not used for CATV, then it can be used for data. It really doesn't matter much if it's 50 or 75 ohms as long as there are not "taps" along the run. I've done this many times. However, you will be limited to 10baseT-HDX (half duplex) and will not be able to run 100baseT.

If you coax cable is being used for CATV, then you can share the connection with data. |

formatting link
Details later if you need them...

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.