Q: redundant uplinks between gigabit switches?

In article , Michael Zach wrote: :My question is about coupling desktop class gigabit switches with :autouplink ports (like Netgear GS608 or D-Link DGS-1005D).

:How about a "full connection", I mean each switch uplinking to both :other switches. (A to B , B to C and C back to A)

:Will this give connection redundancy and better performance in any :way? Or will it help me in case that any one uplink cable fails or :gets disconnected?

:Or will it mess up traffic somehow if there are more than 1 way from :switch A to C (once directly via cable and once via switch B)?

In order to prevent link problems, the feature you need to look for is Spanning Tree.

A rule of thumb is that nearly all managed switches support Spanning Tree, and most unmanaged switches do not.

The Netgear GS608 documentation makes no reference at all to supporting Spanning Tree, so it probably does not support it.

The D-Link DGS-1005D manual mentions Spanning Tree (STP) in the glossary but nowhere else, so it likely does not support it either.

Reply to
Walter Roberson
Loading thread data ...

Hello all!

My question is about coupling desktop class gigabit switches with autouplink ports (like Netgear GS608 or D-Link DGS-1005D).

I have 3 rooms each with 3-5 PCs in. Is it possible to place a desktop switch (like the ones above) in each room and have them interconnected via the normal autouplink-ports?

How about a "full connection", I mean each switch uplinking to both other switches. (A to B , B to C and C back to A)

Will this give connection redundancy and better performance in any way? Or will it help me in case that any one uplink cable fails or gets disconnected?

Or will it mess up traffic somehow if there are more than 1 way from switch A to C (once directly via cable and once via switch B)?

Well I will have no VLANs and all PCs will be in the same IP subnet. No NETBIOS used.

Hopefully my question will not be too confuse ;o)

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Reply to
Michael Zach

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.