How to know where Catalyst connected?

Hi gents, I have a simple cuestion and hope you can help. Some one did a mess with networking on my company, I have two rooms connected by a huge amount of cables, on both sides I have cisco catalyst and they are connected but I don't know the port-to-port matching. Is there any order, any kind of discovery tool that helps me to find this?

I thought turning down one interface and see what interface comes down in the other switch, but I hope there are better ways. Thanks and greetings to you all.

Reply to
Sako
Loading thread data ...

Can you log into the switches via telnet or with a console connection? If you can then go into config mode "conf t" and enable Cisco Discovery Protocol (CDP) ... "cdp run" then "ctrl z" to exit config mode and do "show cdp neighbours". The output will identify both ports used for the connection.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

Re: my other post .. you need to enable cdp on both switches.

Reply to
BernieM

"Sako" wrote in news:1168245467.995716.240450@

11g2000cwr.googlegroups.com:

You can track your switch with its MAC address.

Reply to
Phach

"BernieM" wrote in news:0Gnoh.3349$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

You are right, i din't remember this. Shame on me with my MAC tracking anwser.

6 months without using a cisco isn't good for health... ;-)

Phach

Reply to
Phach

That's funny because I was about to reply to you saying ... of course ... have a look at the mac table ... easy.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

Thanks a lot, It seems easier than I thought!

Most of the times is harder to get the easier answer, I'll try. I supose I'll find it but how do I look the MAC table? Thnks to you all.

BernieM ha escrito:

Reply to
Sako

"Sako" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s34g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I didn't post the exact syntax because I don't remember it and I didn't want to tell you something wrong.

If I remember correctly it's something like "show cam" (on CAT OS)

On IOS it should be "show mac-addr..."

Reply to
Phach

Ok I found it now I'm fighting to match the mac addresses.

the command is "sh mac-address-table" and it shows interface to mac correspondence!

Something like this :

1 000b.cdf3.0325 DYNAMIC Fa0/6 so now let's find witch int it is.

Phach ha escrito:

Reply to
Sako

If you go to the other switch and type "show interface " and have a look at the mac address. They will be addressed sequencly, from there. Go to the other switch and use the "include" option to find the port they come in on .... "sh mac-add | inc "

Reply to
BernieM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.