REQ: How do you tell the IP address of a device attached to a Cisco switch port?

show arp/show ip arp

Reply to
John Smith
Loading thread data ...

Not easily. The best way is to look at the cam table and record the MAC addr. Then go the the router and do a "sho ip arp" and look for the mac. You now have the IP address.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

REQ: How do you tell the IP address of a device attached to a Cisco switch port?

Reply to
Mark

John Smith wrote:

Unless the sc0 is in a different vlan

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Some of the ways that I do this are:

Catalyst 6500 - sh cam dyn mod/port Example: sh cam dyn 3/5 This will give you the mac address of the device in the port.

Catalyst 2900/3500/3700 sh mac address-table | inc Fa(port) Example: sh mac addres-table | inc Fa0/1

Then take the MAC address returned to the default gateway for that VLAN and perform a SHOW ARP | INC (last 4 characters of MAC) Example: sh arp | inc 042a This will print the IP that is associated with that MAC address(es) ending in 042a. If there are more then one, you can look for the one that matches the MAC address you are looking for.

Hope that this helps.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks for your help guys. It appears that the easiest way to do this on our system (4500, 3700 etc) for me is to do a sh mac add which gives me all the mac addresses against all the ports and then do a sh ip arp "macaddress" to then get the IP address. Works great thanks Regards Mark

Reply to
Mark

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.