Need to get detail on traffic on Catalyst 4500

I've got several remote sites using catalyst 4500s that have been showing some unusual traffic lately. I'm trying to find out ways to determine what's been going on. I would like to turn on NetFlow and use that, but I don't have the necessary hardware. Are there any alternatives that might help?

Thanks!

--Steve

Reply to
pfisterfarm
Loading thread data ...

Have used the following IOS commands on lessor models to view such data from the CLI (when a NetFlow collector was unavailable).

router (config) # ip flow-top-talkers router (config) # top 25 router (config) # sort-by packets

router # show ip flow top-talkers

Best Regards, News Reader

Reply to
News Reader

Is this a NetFlow command? I may have been a little unclear ... I don't have NetFlow available at all (the Catalyst 4500 needs a feature card and the proper version of the supervisory engine, neither of which I have at any of the sites).

Thanks for your response, though...

--Steve

Reply to
pfisterfarm

Yes it is. Sorry about that.

Don't have access to a 4500, and wasn't aware of the additional hardware required to support NetFlow. Even branch office gear (800, 1700 series) can do NetFlow. Although maybe not on such a grand scale.

Thought you were conveying that you didn't have hardware (a host) to export the data too. Thought I was helping with commands that would allow CLI visibility into the data.

Usually I wouldn't respond to posts regarding platforms beyond what I have to work on, but I do see posters (others, not you) with responsibilities well beyond their abilities, and thought I'd take a shot at this post.

;>)

Thanks for the considerate response.

Best Regards, News Reader

Reply to
News Reader

Yes, that is using netflow.

The 4500 Sup IV/V platforms require an additional hardware module added to the SUP engine to handle netflow.. (part # WS-F4531)

I don't know the answer either, although I'd like to get some of the $3000 modules in my 4500's to see if the flow talkers command suddenly becomes available.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

It's not ideal however, have you considered SPANning the traffic to a port and gathering some stats that way? Wireshark will give fairly limited conversation analysis but it may well do the job - especially if it's a simple traffic pattern.

I have the idea that there are applications that will present information gathered in this way in a decent manner. Charts, stuff like that.

Here is one at random

formatting link

This one has a free trial

formatting link

Reply to
Bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.