Getting "year" in syslog

Hi all,

is it possible to get current year in syslogm messages (I'm getting just "month" and "day") on IOS 12.2?

Reply to
Ivan
Loading thread data ...

Hi Ivan,

You may wish to investigate Cisco's Service Timestamps:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Service Experts

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA/Canada Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

except that the timestamps inserted do not include the year, only the month, day, and time of day.

For the original question... you have at least two possibilities:

1 - use a syslog daemon that allows adding the year to the local timestamp and putting that timestamp on the messages (sometimes, having the "when occurred" timestamp and the "when received" timestamp can be useful information on its own. How to configure this is system dependent.

2 - use the syslog tcl tools available on 17xx and 8xx routers to add whatever information is desired to any syslog events before they are sent to the syslog server(s). Have fun using this capability, when last I looked, the Cisco documentation left a lot to the imagination, and figuring out what features are and are not supported in the Cisco tcl implementation tended to be a trial and error process.

Good luck and have fun!

Reply to
Vincent C Jones

Vincent, thanks for the tips. I'll try to use the first one because IOS is old (but stable) and I'm not allowed to upgrade.

Thanks.

Reply to
Ivan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.