Get MAC

The bridge is connected to my router's internet port, and my computer is connect to the router's local port. I want to get my bridge's MAC address, but I can't! Someone please help me! Thanks!

Reply to
xstanley007
Loading thread data ...

In article , wrote: :The bridge is connected to my router's internet port, and my computer :is connect to the router's local port. I want to get my bridge's MAC :address, but I can't! Someone please help me! Thanks!

You don't tell us what your router is. If your router has appropriate software, you can query it's arp table via SNMP; or you could log in and tell it to display the arp table. Or you could examine the spanning tree negotiations in detail.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Very sorry for late reply! My router is Cisco SOHO 91! I can retrieve the the local and router's MAC addresses by using this command

show ip arp

but it doesn't show the MAC of the bridge. Any comment?

Reply to
xstanley007

The mac will only be in the arp table if there has been some communication to it within the lifetime of the arp entries. Ping the bridge from the device that you will display the arp table from and then you should see it.

Hope that helps,

Jim

Reply to
Scooby

The IP of Ethernet1 of the router is 202.123.123.23, and the IP of the Bridge is 192.168.23.45. I can ping the the Bridge, but when I use this command

show ip arp 192.168.23.45

Nothing happen!! Help please!

Reply to
xstanley007

Simply use ethereal

formatting link
it's free, to capture the frames. That way you can see exactly what's going on.

Reply to
Brad

But I thinkg ethereal cannot bypass router! That's why it can't capture the bridge's MAC address!

Reply to
xstanley007

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.