Funk Software, Odyssey WPA client for Cisco 350, XP Tablet

Are there any known problems with the above software?

I am trying to get WPA/PSK to work with a Cisco 350 wifi adapter. XP "should" support it but for some reason it doesn't work. Various people have suggested the Odyssey client but as far as I can tell none of them have actually used it for this. Funk say it does work although their data sheet doesn't mention WPA/PSK (TKIP) explicitly.

Peter.

-- Return address is invalid to help stop junk mail. E-mail replies to snipped-for-privacy@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y.

Reply to
Peter
Loading thread data ...

If the hardware doesn't support it, Windows XP won't either. It depends on the firmware on the adapter, and what is in use for the base station/router. I would ask in one of the general networking newsgroups or check

formatting link
to see if they have information.

Reply to
Chris H.

The recent Cisco 350 drivers (> 8.4.x) / card firmware (>5.30.xx) support TKIP and WPA authentication. It worked for me in a test environment with WPA/PSK on Windows 2000 SP4. With an ORiNOCO Classic Card, ORiNOCO abg and Cisco 340/350 cards. For all cards driver only install, all managed by Odyssee 3.0x client.

For WinXP SP2 WPA/PSK should work with M$ supplicant.

In real world I use LEAP with CKIP and CCKM because I have to support Linux and MS-DOS clients too.

Reply to
Uli Link

Do both of the above get installed when one installs the current ACU software? Win-Client-802.11a-b-Ins-Wizard-v15.exe

Peter.

-- Return address is invalid to help stop junk mail. E-mail replies to snipped-for-privacy@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y.

Reply to
Peter

Peter schrieb:

Yes, but installing the Wizard installs much(!) more than only the drivers and the ACU itself. Cisco's ACU replaces the gina module of Windows for getting login credentials before sending it over the network. Remeber, with any authenticated network access, the network must be connected before the credentials can be checked over the network (chicken-egg).

Same with Odyssee Client or any other supplicant with single sign-on capability.

So if using Odyssee (or AEGIS Client) use only the drivers.

If you have wizard-installed ACU you can try to select "use windows or another application for configuring" on the profile selection page. If WinXP SP2 is installed you should be able to configure WPA/PSK in Windows and ACU is using this profile. Perhaps create a profile in ACU using "host based EAP" and select this profile in ACU.

Reply to
Uli Link

Too late for me - the whole above executable has been installed.

That's what I do. I have written here before and apologise for going over this again to anyone who has read that, but I can get open security or plain 40-bit WEP working in either windows XP or in the ACU, but

the above doesn't work; I've tried it on several machines. Admittedly all were tested with the same Draytek wifi router...

I will try that tonight, thank you. However others here have categorically stated that the Cisco ACU (for the 350 adapter) doesn't support WPA/PSK and the only possible way is to use XP's config.

My problem is that I can't get my head around the various different authentication schemes. E.g. I know vaguely what a Radius server might do but that's about it.

In other contexts I have successfully configured VPNs. I've got one (IPSEC) between two routers, and another one (PPTP, couldn't get IPSEC to work) between the router(s) and remote teleworkers. Maybe I should forget WPA and set up a VPN.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter

Peter schrieb:

with "host based EAP" ACU uses the Windows Zero Configuration service... This way you configure PEAP.

If the Draytek uses a WPA compatibility mode, you'll have a problem. In compatibility mode there is WPA authentication but WEP encryption for supporting legacy clients. With the Aironet 350 cards you must TKIP only with any WPA mode.

The Aironet 350 defintily can work with WinXP and WPA-PSK.

WPA was developed with compatibilities in mind. The authentication and the frame format is different and incompatible. The TKIP encryption still uses the RC4 which is available in most cards hardware, with all known weaknesses of WEP successfully addressed.

So an upgrade from WEP to WPA/TKIP/Michael is possible in firmware/driver.

But most radios can not run WEP and WPA/TKIP/Michael simultaneously. That's what is done in compatibility mode. The broadcast must be in the old format, so that a none-WPA capable station can join the network. This doesn't really works. If you want WPA (with EAP or PSK) all stations must run the same cipher, TKIP/Michael.

Reply to
Uli Link

Just an update: the Odyssey client v3 doesn't work either on WPA/PSK. It gets as far as authenticating and trying to access the access point (their choice of terminology is interesting) but it fails.

It almost does work on plain WEP but it fails to acquire the IP from the DHCP server.

Very odd - I am sure this software should work. I reckon it must be something on my config, on the Cisco 350 card, or a compatibility problem with the Draytek router. The Linksys WPC54G works perfectly though.

The reason I am persisting with the old Cisco 350 is because it is one of the very few cards that has an external-antenna RF connector. The WPC54G has vastly better software; everything just works but I would have to hack it to connect an external antenna to it. This is inside a ruggedised tablet PC which is very hard to get into.

So I will now give up on this job; I have wifi working on plain WEP and can get it working on 64-bit (using either XP or the ACU) or

128-bit (using the ACU); that's good enough at present.

Thank you for your help!

Reply to
Peter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.