Cisco 350 client adapter - locks up PC when WEP key is wrong

Hi,

I have a laptop with the LMC352 PCMCIA wifi adapter.

It all works fine, but I find that when there is an AP within range that uses WEP, and I don't have the WEP key for it (usually the case!) the adapter turns off its radio (the icon turns white).

Then, Windows locks up solidly for a few seconds every say 30 seconds.

I have a choice of which supplicant to use; for plain 40-bit WEP I can use either the ACU or the XP one and I am using the XP one because it is slightly better in its handling of new network location.

How can I prevent this locking-up? It seems like some sort of auto power saving mode is being entered, but I haven't changed any of the ACU settings from their defaults. Anyway, the ACU is set to "use another application to set network settings" so I wonder how much of the ACU actually does anything now.

Peter.

-- Return address is invalid to help stop junk mail. E-mail replies to snipped-for-privacy@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y.

Reply to
Peter
Loading thread data ...

~ Hi, ~ ~ I have a laptop with the LMC352 PCMCIA wifi adapter. ~ ~ It all works fine, but I find that when there is an AP within range ~ that uses WEP, and I don't have the WEP key for it (usually the case!) ~ the adapter turns off its radio (the icon turns white). ~ ~ Then, Windows locks up solidly for a few seconds every say 30 seconds. ~ ~ I have a choice of which supplicant to use; for plain 40-bit WEP I can ~ use either the ACU or the XP one and I am using the XP one because it ~ is slightly better in its handling of new network location. ~ ~ How can I prevent this locking-up? It seems like some sort of auto ~ power saving mode is being entered, but I haven't changed any of the ~ ACU settings from their defaults. Anyway, the ACU is set to "use ~ another application to set network settings" so I wonder how much of ~ the ACU actually does anything now. ~ ~ ~ Peter.

I haven't heard of such a problem before.

You can try upgrading to latest code (IW 1.5, see

formatting link
Or, if you're already running IW 1.5, try downgrading.

Or, if you have TAC support, open a case.

Regards,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.