Fixed address for vpdn users

I have configured a vpdn for l2tp/IPsec dialin users on an 1811. An "ip local pool" is used (in the Virtual-Template) to assign an IP address to the caller.

I would prefer if each username had a fixed IP address that is used for every session.

On an earlier router (3725) running 12.4(25)d the users got an address from the pool in the order they called, and when they called again they usually got the same address. An exception was when the call failed on the client side and they called again before the router noticed it, then they got a new address.

On the 1811 running 15.1(4)M4 the same user gets a new address everytime they call. When "show ip local pool " is done, it shows the same username with many different IP addresses. Even when the call has been cleared for quite some time, the same address is not re-used until the entire pool has been used.

Is it possible to revert to the previous behaviour? Is it possible to assign a fixed address to a username?

Reply to
Rob
Loading thread data ...

Use a RADIUS server.

I don't believe the local IP allocation was ever officially defined. It changed from major version to version of IOS. You happened to be running one that you got used to.

Not to my knowledge. I suppose it is possible, but I hadn't seen allocation of local IP pool ever really defined previously.

Sure, with RADIUS.

While they did up a light weight RADIUS server for the WiFi boxes running within IOS, I would tend to doubt that got ported out to other platforms.

At least the 15.1M RADIUS user guide doesn't seem to mention it.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Thanks, I'll see how I can use that to solve my issue. It is just a very small setup with 12 usernames.

The pool keeps a username that last used the address, and there is a "recycle" option that appears to be affecting things the other direction that I want them to go. I think it kept the same IP for the same user for many versions that we used.

Reply to
Rob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.