configuring 2620 for ISDN dial in (no callback required)

hi there,

i'm totally new to configuring cisco equipment; i got a 2620 from a customer in order to configure dial in via ISDN lines. they have defined a list of users (and passwords), which i already configured (but omitted in the lines below). the users should be able to call a number (MSN), authenticate and have access to the LAN itself. pretty straightforward...

however, i'd like to hear some words regarding the configuration i built reading many documents from the cisco website.

after some hours of fiddling around, it all boiled down to the following configuration. i'd like to test it in advance, but on my side i just don't have the appropriate equipment.

thanks a lot in advance to everybody helping me. this is very much appreciated. thanks!

best,

fritz

Reply to
Fritz Schoeler
Loading thread data ...

Fritz,

One issue you will need to address is the lack of modems in the router... Your users are going to have to dial-in with ISDN instead of the standard analog Modem.

Reply to
J.Cottingim

In article , snipped-for-privacy@web.de (Fritz Schoeler) writes: | hi there, | | i'm totally new to configuring cisco equipment; i got a 2620 from a | customer in order to configure dial in via ISDN lines. they have defined | a list of users (and passwords), which i already configured (but omitted | in the lines below). the users should be able to call a number (MSN), | authenticate and have access to the LAN itself. pretty straightforward... | | however, i'd like to hear some words regarding the configuration i built | reading many documents from the cisco website. | | after some hours of fiddling around, it all boiled down to the following | configuration. i'd like to test it in advance, but on my side i just | don't have the appropriate equipment. | | thanks a lot in advance to everybody helping me. this is very much | appreciated. thanks!

You probably want a "dialer pool 1" on Dialer1. You don't seem to have done anything about assigning IP addresses.

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

(config deleted)

there's a four-port BRI card in the chassis.

yap, that's the way it is intended to be.

best,

fritz

Reply to
Fritz Schoeler

hi dan,

thanks for you hint; is that IP address issue fixable by assigning a (static) IP address to each (used) BRI port or can a pool be defined that is then used on demand?

thanks & best,

fritz

Reply to
Fritz Schoeler

In article , snipped-for-privacy@web.de (Fritz Schoeler) writes: | Dan Lanciani wrote: | > In article , snipped-for-privacy@web.de (Fritz Schoeler) writes: | > | hi there, | > | | > | i'm totally new to configuring cisco equipment; i got a 2620 from a | > | customer in order to configure dial in via ISDN lines. they have defined | > | a list of users (and passwords), which i already configured (but omitted | > | in the lines below). the users should be able to call a number (MSN), | > | authenticate and have access to the LAN itself. pretty straightforward... | > | | > | however, i'd like to hear some words regarding the configuration i built | > | reading many documents from the cisco website. | > | | > | after some hours of fiddling around, it all boiled down to the following | > | configuration. i'd like to test it in advance, but on my side i just | > | don't have the appropriate equipment. | > | | > | thanks a lot in advance to everybody helping me. this is very much | > | appreciated. thanks! | > | > You probably want a "dialer pool 1" on Dialer1. You don't seem to have | > done anything about assigning IP addresses. | > | > Dan Lanciani | > ddl@danlan.*com | | hi dan, | | thanks for you hint; is that IP address issue fixable by assigning a | (static) IP address to each (used) BRI port or can a pool be defined | that is then used on demand?

There are many ways to do this. You could assign a static address to each BRI line or you could make them unnumbered and share the Ethernet's address. You also need addresses for the clients. If you trust the clients you could let them come with addresses of their own choosing. You could also assign their addresses from a pool. Associating specific addresses with particular username/password pairs starts to get tricky and might require an external authentication server.

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

hi dan,

thanks for your reply. IMHO it'd be the easiest solution to keep (is that i can keep that actual configuration, 'no ip address' on the appropriate BRI interfaces?) the interfaces unnumbered. do i have to NAT between the router's ethernet interface and the BRI interfaces?

i'd like to keep the setup as simple as possible. there's a maximum of two users dialing in at the same time, and authentication should also be kept very non-complex. no need of assigning certain IP addresses to certain users or similar things.

so, keeping the config the way it is, is there a chance to get this thing up and running?

thanks & best,

fritz

Reply to
Fritz Schoeler

| thanks for your reply. IMHO it'd be the easiest solution to keep (is | that i can keep that actual configuration, 'no ip address' on the | appropriate BRI interfaces?)

The reason you can have no ip address on the BRI interfaces is that they are part of a dialer pool. This just moves the requirement for an address to the dialer interface.

| the interfaces unnumbered.

The dialer interface could be unnumbered.

| do i have to NAT | between the router's ethernet interface and the BRI interfaces?

That depends entirely on what you are trying to do...

| i'd like to keep the setup as simple as possible. there's a maximum of | two users dialing in at the same time,

You realize that each BRI typically gives you two 56k or 64k channels, right? Four BRI ports seems like overkill for two users. Also, I just noticed that you don't have any spid assignments.

| and authentication should also be | kept very non-complex. no need of assigning certain IP addresses to | certain users or similar things. | | so, keeping the config the way it is, is there a chance to get this | thing up and running?

There's more to add. I could try to extract a similar configuration from a running system for you, but it doesn't use dialer pools (just one BRI).

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.