Ethernet and non Ethernet leads

When pertaining to IP telephony, what are Ethernet and non Ethernet leads? Is that simply that, the pairs used to transmit data are referred to Ethernet leads and the pairs that aren't are then referred to as non Ethernet leads?

IKV

Reply to
IKVadeus
Loading thread data ...

When pertaining to IP telephony, what are Ethernet and non Ethernet leads? Is that simply that, the pairs used to transmit data are referred to Ethernet leads and the pairs that aren't are then referred to as non Ethernet leads?

-IKV

Reply to
IKVadeus

I know nothing about this but I did some research.

Are leads the connectors themselves?

I read an article mentioning the use of ethernet leads as opposed to regular modem leads. It sounded like he meant the connectors which would mean RJ-45 as opposed to RJ-11.

So maybe used in this context he means Ethernet leads(which are RJ-45) and non Ethernet leads(which could be anything besides RJ-45).

Isn't the Ethernet physical standard defined by using RJ-45 connectors? If so this makes sense.

-Ciscopimpenator

Reply to
ciscopimpenator

ethernet = cat5/5e/6 etc.. non ethernet = twisted pair voice cable

Flamer.

Reply to
die.spam

Which Ethernet standard? 10Base5 and 10BASE2 certainly don't use "RJ45" connectors. Nor do things like 10GBASE-SR

AFAIK RJ45 is an ordering code for an AT&T telephony service. The computer industry misappropriated the name and applied it to 8P8C modular connectors.

As for defining a standard by using a plug, when I plug a serial lead with a RJ45 plug into the console port of my Cisco router it certainly does not feel like I'm writing a document containing a definition of a communications technology. :-)

Wait a moment, let me check the date in your message header ...

Reply to
RedGrittyBrick

Ethernet leads are leads designed to be used with Ethernet. Non Ethernet leads are leads intended for some other purpose.

"IP telephony" refers to the carriage of voice communications using Internet Protocol. IP specifies no particular physical medium.

No.

Pairs are not leads. You shouldn't refer to a pair as a lead. A lead is a piece of cable terminated by connectors. Some types of cable contain pairs of conductors.

Pairs used to *receive* Ethernet data are not "non Ethernet".

1000BASE-T (Gigabit Ethernet over copper cabling) uses four pairs of Category 5e cables. That doesn't leave any pairs free for other "non Ethernet" purposes.
Reply to
RedGrittyBrick

formatting link
Universal Service Ordering Codes (USOC) are a series of Registered Jack (RJ) wiring configurations developed by the Bell System for connection of customer premise equipment to the public network. FCC regulations control the application of these configurations when used for this purpose.

In other words, RJ45 really is the jack and wiring configuration combination, and not a particular telephony service.

formatting link
Furthermore, true telephone RJ45 involves a "keyed" variety of the 8P body, which means it may have an extra tab that a computer "RJ45" connector is unable to mate with.

So yes, there was a name misappropriatation; I'm just quibbling about what it was that originally held the name that was misappropriated.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Who cares about 10Base5 or 10Base 2...are we living in the stone age? :) BNC connectors rock!

Most modern Ethernet uses RJ-45 or 8P8C like the telecom guy says.

I'm going to build my home lab with 10Base2 or better yet Token Ring! Then I will route traffic using the IPX protocol suite and then I will put modem between me and my Cisco 2502 so I can configure the router faster.

Yeah I'm cool!

Reply to
ciscopimpenator

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.