Gigabit over 2 pair?

Note quite a cisco specific question but...

Does anyone know of any ethernet extender type devices to establish a gigabit link over 2 pairs of copper? Have a short (100') inter-building link but can't run fiber. Have to use limited existing Cat 5 copper. Only 2 pairs available which are running at 100'TX now :( No cost effective wireless out there, is there?

Reply to
Joey
Loading thread data ...

Since gig uses 4 pairs, no. I have heard of half duplex gig (in some rigged setup that was not anywhere near a good idea), but other than that, gig requires all 8 wires.

Reply to
Trendkill

_1000Base-TX_ requires 4 pairs. But not perhaps a proprietary solution. There are dozens of 10/100 paired devices out there than do it on 1 pair at a thousand feet.... Just looking for the same for gigabit speeds. But no need for real long distance...

Reply to
Joey

But those devices that do one pair for thousands of feet don't get you

100BaseT speeds. You trade off speed for distance. You get better than 10BaseTX, but max is typically 25Mbps depending on how far you need to go. Further out gets less and less speed.

Hmm, sounds suspiciously like an ADSL2 limitation, as I suspect most of those type of boxes are really ADSL bridge chipsets in disguise, or at least technology based on that sort of thing.

I suspect you'll have to wait a few years for technology to catch up to what you want to do, I don't think it exists yet for you.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

if there are other pairs used for different things, i would see what you can free up by putting across the Ethernet / IP link.....

voice onto IP telephony maybe?

the other approach is to measure what is on the existing 100 Mbps link and see if it is really heavily loaded - often the bottleneck isnt where you expect to find it when you go look.

No - but if the location share local power then power line networking may help - 200 Mbps claimed and 20 to 50 Mbps probably realistic (but remember it will be half duplex).

Reply to
stephen

Fsona makes gig optical links

formatting link
which will go a couple off kilometers as I recall if you have optical line of sight.

Peter Van Epp / Operations and Technical Support Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, B.C. Canada

Reply to
Peter Van Epp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.