EtherChannel: Cisco-proprietary hash algorithm

Hello folks

I have been implementing an EtherChannel on my 3750E switches based on source/destination IP address hashing. I have found documents that explain the hashing algorithm for layer 2 load balancing based on source/destination MAC addresses. However, does someone know how the algorithm works for source/ destination IP address hashing? If so, could you explain how this works?

Thanks a lot!

Miguel

Reply to
Miguel Sanders
Loading thread data ...

"Miguel Sanders" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@d77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

Hi,

CEF Load Sharing algorythm maps destination prefixes to a maxiumum of 16 paths; an hash function then assign source-destination pairs to a particular path. You can have a look at the distribution using "sh ip cef internal"

There are actually three different algorithms available: the standard/old one, the "universal" and a "tunnel tuned" version. The Universal algorithm is seeded, so each router can have different hash results and the traffic is more evenly spread among the internetwork

Regards, Gabriele

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

messaggionews: snipped-for-privacy@d77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

That is interesting, but it is not related to the etherchannel load distribution algorithm.

formatting link
Section "Load Balancing and Forwarding Methods"

To the OP - if you can't find anything in the documentation and have support consider a TAC case. It is possible that cisco regard the algorithm as a trade secret and they may not be prepared to release it.

Reply to
Bod43

messaggionews: snipped-for-privacy@d77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

niet weergeven -

That's funny because they do give it for load balancing based on layer

2 data (MAC address).
formatting link
Nevertheless, it should be a simple operation since it has to be done very quick in the hardware. Any tips on this would be much appreciated.
Reply to
Miguel Sanders

this doc implies they use the same algorithm whether it is working on L2 or L3.

formatting link
However, does someone know how the algorithm works for source/

Reply to
Stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.