Etherchannel problem

Hi group. I have an issue whilst trying to set up an etherchannel between a 6513 and 6509. As soon as the Channel is up and bonded a switch in an external office (Cat.3650) goes off line and only a reboot of this external switch will bring it back with the Port Channel shutdown. The default gateway of the remote netowrk sits on the 6513, the external switch is just in default setup with ports set to cisco-desktop macro.

Port Channel set up below:

6513: ......... ! interface Port-channel1 switchport switchport access vlan 4 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q switchport mode trunk ! interface GigabitEthernet13/1 switchport switchport access vlan 4 switchport mode trunk channel-group 1 mode desirable non-silent ........

6509: ....... interface Port-channel1 no ip address switchport switchport access vlan 4 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q switchport mode trunk ! no ip address switchport switchport access vlan 4 switchport mode trunk channel-group 1 mode desirable non-silent ...

Any ideas?

Thanks J

Reply to
thejayman
Loading thread data ...

Is the connection a trunk or not ?

If is is then lose the "switchport access vlan 4" command and get rid of DTP - configure the trunk as nonegotiate

Reply to
Merv

Thank for the prompt reply. I am assuming it should be a trunk, I was just trying to allow the channel to pass only traffic on that vlan.

So should i enter:

no switchport access vlan 4 switchport mode trunk nonegotiate

Thanks J

Reply to
thejayman

Thank for the prompt reply. I am assuming it should be a trunk, I was just trying to allow the channel to pass only traffic on that vlan.

So should i enter:

no switchport access vlan 4 switchport mode trunk nonegotiate

Thanks J

Reply to
thejayman

What is the status of the 3560 port that is connected to the network? Is it err-disabled? If so, what is the cause?

If you only want vlan 4 on the trunk use switchport trunk allowed vlan otherwise use switch trun native vlan or something like that.

URB

Reply to
URB

try

! 6513 port channel configuration

no int po 1 no int gi 13/1

interface Port-channel 1 description trunk between 6513 and 6509 no ip address load-interval 30 switchport switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q switchport mode trunk switchport nonegotiate switchport trunk allowed vlan 4 ! permit only vlan 4 traffic across trunk no shutdown

interface GigabitEthernet 13/1 description trunk between 6513 and 6509 no ip address load-interval 30 switchport switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q switchport mode trunk switchport nonegotiate switchport trunk allowed vlan 4 channel-group 1 mode on no shutdown

Reply to
Merv

Thanks for this. Works a charm. I am trying to understand the load balancing aspect. I have many hosts going to few servers. From my reading it looks like port-channel load-balance src-dst-mac would work best.

Do you agree? Thanks again

Reply to
thejayman

I am not sure of the best load balancing algorithm as I have never tested.

You can configure load-interval 30 on each of teh interface you place in a port-channel to be able to get a better idea of their instanteious utilization

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.