CSS 11503 Gig over Copper Ports - Talk to Fast Ethernet?

I am not having any luck getting link between the Gig over copper ports on a CSS11503 and the fast ethernet ports on a 4006 Cat. I have been searching for a definitive answer on this in Cisco documentation but have ended up with just hints. I've tried cross-over and straight through cables. If I connect the gig port 1/1 on CSS A to gig port 1/1 on CSS B I do get link light. But if I connect gig port 1/1 on CSS A to any enabled fast ethernet port on a catalyst 4006 I get absolutely nothing.

This web site

formatting link
..offers a hint that Gig will not be able to figure out negotiation. Not the "Fast Ethernet Only":

"enables the CSS ports to automatically detect the network line speed (Fast Ethernet only) "

And when I try to hard code the gig interfaces to 100Mbps the CSS does not permit me to do so. Can anyone point me to something more definitive information about connecting CSS gig over copper interfaces to a fast ethernet switch? Thanks.

Reply to
amigan
Loading thread data ...

Hi amigan,

You may also wish to investigate -

You cannot use L2 devices on the ISC links between the two CSSs.

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco CraigsList Job Openings

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Technical Forums
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Hi Brad. Thanks for your reply. I am just hoping to use the gig interface for receiving http/s requests and balancing the traffic. I believe the ISC is for state communication between a redundant pair of CSS's. And for that I would just use a cross-over - no switch between the CSS's. No problem there. But the issue is I can't get the http/s requests to the CSS if the gig over copper int can't get link to a Cisco 4006 fast ethernet port.

Reply to
amigan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.