Speed limit of Fast Ethernet

Why is the speed limit of Fast Ethernet limited to 100mbps? Is it becasue of the packet length?

Reply to
wslim22
Loading thread data ...

Why is the speed limit of Fast Ethernet limited to 100mbps? Is it becasue of the packet length?

Reply to
wslim22

It's not clear what exactly you're asking. The _reason_ is that the designers decided that that is what it would be--they could as easily have decided that it was to be 80 or 120 or some other speed, but they picked

As to how they went about implementing that decision, _that_ is a complex topic.

Reply to
J. Clarke

In article , wslim22 wrote: :Why is the speed limit of Fast Ethernet limited to 100mbps? Is it :becasue of the packet length?

No, the rate is defined by the carrier frequency and choice of encoding schemes onto the carrier. It is not just a plain "1 bit per hertz" though; there are concerns about EMI and frequency attenuation and negotiation. See, e.g.,

formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson
100 is an odd number. I really prefer 120. But these guys just don't listen!
Reply to
DigitalSignal

In article , DigitalSignal wrote: :100 is an odd number.

Yes, in any number system whose base is an odd positive integer (3 upwards)

:I really prefer 120. But these guys just don't listen!

Interestingly, 120 is an odd number in exactly the above set of number systems that 100 is odd for.

More generally, 1p0 base q is odd if and only if q is odd (3 upwards) and p is even. For example, 130 is not odd in any positive integer base (4 upwards).

[Sorry, when you are programming in a symbolic computation language for days on end, you start thinking about general solutions to statements that contain assumptions such as "odd"...]
Reply to
Walter Roberson

I thought the answer was 42. ;-)

Reply to
James Knott

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.