Connected to Telia/Skanova using 837 but with oddities

Dear Sirs

I have now managed to connect with my 837 Router. Previosly I had problem with the CRWS-interface due to the M*******t Java engine, when I got the CRWS running it was possible to make an config that enable me to connect.

Oddly when I run my computer shows as: 81.226.84.128 and not 192.168.0.xxx same oddity for the DHCP-server, it have the address: 81.226.84.1 and not something inside my private net.

Also it is only possible to connect to the 837 with one computer, the one where I wrote the configuration. Any other computer will receive no IP-address from the router.

Is there some kind person willing to help an beginner?

sh ru gives:

Current configuration : 1262 bytes ! version 12.2 no service pad service timestamps debug datetime msec service timestamps log datetime msec no service password-encryption ! hostname Router ! logging queue-limit 100 enable secret 5 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ! ip subnet-zero no ip domain lookup ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.0.1 ! ip dhcp pool balja import all network 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 default-router 192.168.0.1 lease 0 2 ! ! ip audit notify log ip audit po max-events 100 no ftp-server write-enable ! ! ! ! ! bridge irb ! ! interface Ethernet0 ip address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0 ip nat inside ip tcp adjust-mss 1452 bridge-group 1 hold-queue 100 out ! interface ATM0 no ip address no ip redirects no ip unreachables ip nat outside no atm ilmi-keepalive pvc 8/35 encapsulation aal5snap ! dsl operating-mode auto bridge-group 1 ! interface BVI1 ip address dhcp client-id Ethernet0 ip nat outside ! ip nat inside source list 1 interface BVI1 overload ip classless ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 BVI1 no ip http server no ip http secure-server ! access-list 1 permit 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.255 bridge 1 protocol ieee bridge 1 route ip ! line con 0 no modem enable stopbits 1 line aux 0 stopbits 1 line vty 0 4 login ! scheduler max-task-time 5000 ! end

best regards

Christer Bergström Viker Sweden

Reply to
Christer Bergstrom
Loading thread data ...

I don't think I'd go quite as far a Peter from auckland suggests in another post, since the bridge configuration seems to be close to right.

Try taking Ethernet0 out of the bridge group, and remove the default route pointing to BVI1, e.g.

! interface Ethernet0 no bridge-group 1 ! interface ATM0 no ip nat outside ! no ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 BVI1 !

Now, with luck, the IP address from the ISP will end up assigned to BVI1, and your PC(s) will be getting a 192.168.0.0/24 address instead. The router should also create a default route for the default router address it gets from the ISP DHCP server.

You may have to leave the router switced off for a while, perhaps overnight to let the ISP forget about the MAC address of your PC.

Rgds, Martin

Reply to
Martin Gallagher

Hi Christer,

This appears to be because you have configured your Router into BRIDGE mode, and the Router is taking no part in any DHCP negotiation, so the DHCP Client on your PC is getting its reply from your ISP's DHCP Server. The net result is that your WAN IP address is actually appearing on your PC.

That is probably because your ISP only allows one IP address per Client connection, and its locked to the single address by Bridging.

All this is happening because you have your Router set up to BRIDGE your WAN link to your LAN segment, and no IP info is used on the Router! I suggest that you remove ALL bridging statements and you should then be close to getting going, although it is unclear exactly what MODE your ISP is using to handle traffic between your Router and their end. The usual method of doing this is to use some form of PPP but its not clear what your ISP is using...

Without Bridging configured you can remove this entire interface configuration section -

If your ISP is delivering a PPP connection, then you need to set up a Dialer interface tied to the PVC on the ATM channel, and the Dialer interface is the outside of your NAT operation.

This can go too...

That's a start but more info is need, unless you can work out the rest................;-)

Cheers.................pk.

Reply to
Peter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.