Configure switch for sniffing

Hi again, I wish you can help , I need to configure an interface from a cisco switch to recieve all packets so I can place there a pc with a sniffer, I really need to know who is collapsing my network.

How can this be done?

Is there any utility that allows to see the traffic, the kind of traffic and the source of the traffic better/easier than a sniffer ?

I use mrtg and snmp to monitorice bandwith and availability, but i need to know wich ip address sends more traffic.

Reply to
Sako
Loading thread data ...

configuring SPAN

formatting link

free:

formatting link
best commercial:
formatting link
(excellent for troubleshoot traffic in real time and to know wich ip address sends more traffic!!!)
formatting link

Reply to
www.ipnetworks.it

What switch do you have? It depends for the proper answer.

Netflow does, but if you had a netflow capable switch, you'd most likely know about it already. Sniffer or any number of network management programs out there that can sniff and do what you want. NTOP sounds likely (running in sniffer mode, not netflow mode) what you want.

formatting link

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

THANKS THANKS!!!! that was what I was looking for !!

I'll try and see witch programs feets better my needings. Doug McIntyre ha escrito:

Reply to
Sako

Ok, I found the sowftware and ... so what is the configuration for the switch port so it recives the packets . is it the SPAN ? Sako ha escrito:

Reply to
Sako

Ciao,

No, the actual command you want is monitor. Ex...

monitor session 1 source int f0/1 monitor session 1 dest int f0/2

This would copy all data in/out of f0/1 to f0/2

Hope that helps,

Jim

Reply to
Scooby

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.