DSL Circuits

Guys

We have to set up a new DSL circuit for one of our customers. We've deployed a C1800 onsite.

I'm having problems finding out how to set the interface up as well as encapsulation needed

Does anyone have a worked exampled that they would be happy to share to help me understand how I setup the ATM0 interface along with all other settings

Many thanks

Reply to
Steve Ray
Loading thread data ...

Steve,

I've been sending out 800 routers for home usage in many different countries and the first thing i'd recommend is to do a 'sh ip int br' and see if the atm0 interface has come up up.

First if you could provide the type of DSL (ADSL/ADSL2/SDSL/etc) and the vci/vpi id be more than happy to help with an example config

Reply to
Zub

Hi

I need to reply in chunks as I don't have the 1800 on site with me. its at a remote site

I did notice the when I forced the ATM0 interface up from "Admin down" it stayed as "Down/Down"

We are using ADSL2 (here in the UK)

VCI/VPI ID - No idea sorry

Steve

Reply to
Steve Ray

I would advise you have a look at

formatting link
If the ATM0 interface isnt coming up we have a lower level problem. It could be that the device you are using cannot work with ADSL2. FYI UK is usually VPI=0 VCI=38.

Reply to
Zub

Hi Steve,

Did you ge this sorted.

Sounds like a physical issue to me but having installed hundreds of ASDL boxes in the UK I would:

Swap out the microfilter (you get the odd faulty one)

Change the ADSL RJ11 cable (as above)

Plug an analogue phone into the ADSL microfilter, do you have a dialtone. NB This won't indicate that there is DSL on the line but I have attended loads of installations where the PSTN line wasn't working. This being the case you won't be going anywere until the Telco sort the line error.

If you have a moduler 1800 with a WIC-1ADSL, what do the ports on the WIC card say. If it is say a fixed 1801 you won't have a WIC-1ADSL card

The PVC is 0/38 unless it's Kingston Comms.

Typical Config:

! interface ATM0 no ip address no atm ilmi-keepalive dsl operating-mode auto pvc 0/38 encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer dialer pool-member 1 ! interface Dialer0 ip address negotiated encapsulation ppp dialer pool 1 no cdp enable ppp authentication chap callin ppp chap hostname XYZ@Your-ISP ppp chap password !

Regards

Darren

Reply to
Darren Green

Hi

I'm hoping to get this sorted in the next few days. The ISP that put the circuits in has not been overly helpful so I sent them a slightly disgrutled email today. I have a sample config from Cisco but need the user ID's as per the config below

I'll keep you updated. Thanks for the help

Steve

Reply to
Steve Ray

Guys

I could really do with some help over this issue please. I'm obviously way out of my depth and am totally unable to see what I'm doing wrong

I've pasted the config below

At the minute I cannot get the unit to connect to the ISP/internet

Any help would be seriously appreciated

--START OF CONFIG

hostname 1831_Customer ! boot-start-marker boot-end-marker ! no aaa new-model ! resource policy ! ip cef ! interface FastEthernet0 no ip address speed 100 full-duplex ! interface BRI0 no ip address encapsulation hdlc shutdown ! interface FastEthernet1 description *** Connection into Internal LAN ! interface ATM0 bandwidth inherit no ip address ip mtu 1500 ip nat outside atm bandwidth dynamic no atm ilmi-keepalive pvc 8/35 encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer dialer pool-member 1 ! pvc 8/38 encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer dialer pool-member 1 ! dsl operating-mode auto ! interface Vlan1 description *** Internal LAN ip address 10.10.10.5 255.255.255.0 ip nat inside ! interface Vlan2 no ip address ! interface Dialer0 ip address ISP-GRANTED-IP-ADDRESS 255.255.255.252 ip mtu 128 encapsulation ppp dialer pool 1 dialer string 5551234567 class User@ISP dialer-group 1 ppp authentication chap User@ISP ! ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer0 ip route ISP-GRANTED-IP-ADDRESS 255.255.255.252 Dialer0 ! no ip http server ! access-list 1 permit any dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit ! control-plane ! end

--END OF CONFIG

Steve

Reply to
Steve Ray

Do you have the DSL setup infomation that is normally provided by ISP

- PVC, PPP authentication method, usernmae, password, etc, etc

You need to troubleshoot each of the layers used for the DSL connection.

Layer 1 - DSL physical connectivity to the Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer (DSLAM) of your ISP

Layer 2 - ATM connectivity and Point-to-Point Protocol over ATM (PPPoA)

Layer 3 - IP

The normal config for PPP CHAP is

int dialer 1 ppp chap hostname ppp chap password

Post the output of the following commands:

sh version

! check the status of the DSL interface

sh int atm 0

! test if PVC 0/38 is the one in use by sending OAM echo packets to the ISP's DSLAM

ping atm interface atm 0 0 38 seg-loopback

show atm int atm0

debug atm errors

debug atm events

debug ppp negotiation

debug ppp authentication

! unplug and replug cable to phone jack

! after testing is completed

undebug all

Reply to
Merv

I would expect a 'no shutdown' somewhere in there. For example, the 'CD' light won't start flashing on an 877 until you put 'no shutdown' on the ATM interface. Look at the "Layer 1 Issues" section of this document:

formatting link
The other thing is, who is the ISP for the DSL circuit? Are they a BT Wholesale reseller [the majority are]? If that is the case, then your pvc statements are wrong.

Reply to
alexd

This is taken from a router connected to a Griffin/BT IPStream circuit:

! interface ATM0 no ip address no ip redirects no ip unreachables no ip proxy-arp ip route-cache flow no atm ilmi-keepalive dsl operating-mode auto ! ! Note that for whatever reason ["you know nothing about Cisco"] ! 'show run' doesn't show a 'no shutdown' here, but without it ! it just won't work! ! interface ATM0.1 point-to-point no ip redirects no ip unreachables no ip proxy-arp no snmp trap link-status pvc 0/38 encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer dialer pool-member 1 ! !

interface Dialer0 description $FW_OUTSIDE$ ip address outside_IP 255.255.255.240 ip access-group 101 in no ip redirects no ip unreachables no ip proxy-arp ip nbar protocol-discovery ip flow ingress ip flow egress ip nat outside ip inspect cdp-inspect out ip ips sdm_ips_rule in ip virtual-reassembly encapsulation ppp ip route-cache flow dialer pool 1 dialer-group 1 no cdp enable ppp authentication chap pap callin ppp chap hostname username@domain ppp chap password 7 crypted_password ppp pap sent-username username@domain password 7 crypted_password crypto map SDM_CMAP_1 !

Good luck!

Reply to
alexd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.