Cisco 871 PPP Authentication Issue--Baffling!

I have an interesting problem. To my knowledge, the configuration of one of our customer's Cisco 877 routers has not changed. However, their Internet connection is not working. The router is syncing with the ISP, as indicated by the CD light going solid, but the connection is not being authenticated (the PPP light does not light up). I made a call to the ISP to see if they could see any traffic. They said yes, but a blank password was being sent to them as part of the authenticaion process. I have reset the password in the Cisco router multiple times. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? The relevant configuration lines are present:

ppp authentication chap pap callin ppp chap hostname THE_USER_NAME ppp chap password 7 THE_PASSWORD ppp pap sent-username THE_USER_NAME password 7 THE_PASSWORD

Thank you.

Vincent

Reply to
Vincent
Loading thread data ...

Whoops....The title is incorrect. I did mean a Cisco 877.

Vincent

Reply to
Vincent

I'm not a true expert but could it be anything to do with encryption? Perhaps theres some kind of encryption in place on the router that is encrypting the password and that reverse encryption is not supported by the ISP? It's a long shot I know, but there's all sorts of crypto keys and loads of random characters in the config of our 877's that we use for ADSL.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve Williamson

You might want to have the ISP assign a new password and input that to see if authenication will complete

Reply to
Merv

What does the debugging show? term mon to turn on debugging to the console debug ppp auth to debug ppp authentication

this will show if it is an authentication issue

Reply to
Scooty

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.