Cisco Switch Catalys 2960 Unreadable characters

Maybe you've configured the wrong speed on your serial interface? It should be set to 9600 baud.

CIao... Markus

Reply to
Markus Marquardt
Loading thread data ...

Switch is new maybe user 5 hours so when i plug in console cable i get Unreadable characters i try to change computer console cable etc.. but i still get Unreadable characters did any one know whats happening pls help.. tnx

Reply to
Anis

formatting link

Reply to
Trendkill

jea i try evrything baud 9200 8n1 8n2 etc... no still getting unreadeble characters...

Reply to
aniss

Step 1 Start the terminal-emulation program and open a session if you are using a PC or terminal.

Step 2 Start a terminal-emulation session.

Step 3 Configure the baud rate and character format of the PC or terminal to match these console port default characteristics:

=B79600 baud

=B78 data bits

=B71 stop bit

=B7No parity

=B7 None (flow control)

If that don't work, try a restart, and if still no go, could someone have changed the default? Is this a redeployment?

If so, I'd try to figure out how to factory reset if possible. Not sure on those 2900s.

formatting link

Reply to
Trendkill

Trendkill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g37g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Its always possible its not set to the default settings. What Tredkill as given are the default settings. But if this is a used unit, its always possible that the previous owner did not have it set to default.

Play with your settings, and when you do find the correct settings, change the config register back to 0x0 to have the box go back to the default console settings of 9600baud.

If your feeling brave and feel like opening the box, you might see if there is a battery that you can temporarily disconnect to more forcably clear the NVRAM contents, and have it revert back to default settings.

Reply to
SCSI Terminator

i try all and i still get unreadeble characters but i setup ip address and password then i telnet on switch and its all ok i try terminal default but its the same again on console cable.. any one have idea ??

formatting link

Reply to
Anis

Read SCSI's reply. He tells you how to set the config to make sure the console stuff is set back to default. Then it should work.

Reply to
Trendkill

Whenever unreadable characters appear over the console connection, rotate through different baud rates on your terminal software. 9600 is the default setting, but if you get a switches that someone may have had to send the IOS image over the console cable, the console baud rate might have been adjusted up to 56000 for the file transfer and never set back to the default 9600.

=========== Scott Perry =========== Indianapolis, Indiana ________________________________________

Reply to
Scott Perry

Something strange happening ...I tell you ppl about switch and how i get unreadable character and that kind a stuff so i did not know what is wrong with him so i send him go services... Today i use again the same switch, same series and evrything catalyst 2960 s so i user program Router Tweak like first time and on default he is 9600 8n1 Hardware so i connect couple of time and shit the same error like on first switch i get unreadable character did anyone know whats happening

Reply to
Anis

Yes - keep trying different terminal baud rates -

1200,2400,9600,19200,38400,57600, etc...
Reply to
Scott Perry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.