Cisco Secure Content Accelerator

Well, typical story here. IT person keeps all "enable" passwords to themselves then melts down and quits. All appliances slowly but surely figured out and enable passwords recovered without any config losses.

BUT

The Cisco SCA is a major brain killer. It is in use, not a single config backed up off it to a TFTP server, certificates unknown, configuration unknown, etc.

Cisco says that only wiping the configuration back to default is the answer to getting access to the appliance.

This is not the answer I want to settle for though.

Anyone out there have any guesses or experience with getting into this device? I, of course, have physical access to it in my network room but the city services would suffer if I had to wipe it.

I can only let it just run "as-is" unless I find a way to get into the appliance without wiping it....

Help?

Reply to
Doc
Loading thread data ...

Doc,

You may wish to investigate the Cisco Secure Content Accelerator SCA serial utility menu available via the serial port:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Service Experts

1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 U.S. Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Website:
formatting link
Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. The problem is that we cannot reset to factory defaults because the previous IT Director threw away or kept all config files for the SCA plus the enable passwords (actually for ALL Cisco equipment). Through analysis and traffic capture we have determined it is only being used to handle the HTTPS traffic for an OWA server, but we have absolutely no information other than that. Not a thing. So rebuilding it from scratch factory defaults will be painful and take the OWA access down for at least a day. I wish that we didn't have to erase the configuration to reset the enable password on this particular piece of Cisco equipment.....

Unfortunately this situation is a classic example of why managers should always make sure that they have detailed information on passwords and configs in the case where an employee departs unexpectedly for whatever reason...:)

Your information is appreciated and if we have to rebuild I am sure it will be used.

Take care,

Robert

formatting link
wrote:

formatting link

Reply to
Doc

Robert,

You may wish to investigate SolarWinds - How to reset an enable secret password via SNMP.

Ever mistype a password.... or have the only person that knows the passwords go on vacation or quit .... ?

The SolarWinds Config Uploader can easily reset and any login or enable password on a Cisco router or switch. You do not need to know the password, just the router/switch's SNMP read-write community string.

formatting link

---------------------------------------------------

Encrypted passwords you can feed into the Boson GetPass Utility to receive the unencrypted version:

formatting link
Brad Reese BradReese.Com eBay Cisco Repair Service Experts
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Great one on the password tool from Boson. Going to try that right away. I will check into using the SNMP community access to change the enable password also, if the Boson doesn't work.

Thanks for all the tips!

Take care,

Robert

formatting link
wrote:

Reply to
Doc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.