how to save and list entire config of cisco router

( I am ready for round 2 of my battle with port forwarding on the cisco

831 soho router. )

I read I can use tftp somehow to save and list the entire config. What are the steps I run to do that? I would like to post my entire config to the group.

thanks,

-Steve

Reply to
Steve Richter
Loading thread data ...

Steve Richter schrieb:

1.) login 2.) enable 3.) copy running-config tftp: 4.) you'll be asked for ip address of the tftp server and a filename on the tftp server, provide an ip address and take over the default value for the remote filename and hit enter.
Reply to
Uli Link

In article , Uli Link wrote: :Steve Richter schrieb:

:> ( I am ready for round 2 of my battle with port forwarding on the cisco :> 831 soho router. )

:> I read I can use tftp somehow to save and list the entire config. What :> are the steps I run to do that? I would like to post my entire config :> to the group.

:4.) you'll be asked for ip address of the tftp server and a filename on :the tftp server, provide an ip address and take over the default value :for the remote filename and hit enter.

5.) Take a copy of the uploaded file, and edit it to remove the enable passwords and secrets, all user passwords, all isakmp keys, and any other sensitive information. You may also wish to obscure your public IP addresses. Do not post the original file: post only the 'sanitized' version. Assume that any encrypted value in the configuration file that is left there and posted -will- be decrypted by someone.
Reply to
Walter Roberson

more easy.

in Hyperterminal, put the "show run" command and select the output and "copy"

Paste in Wordpad.....no in notepad.

Regards Juan Carlos

Reply to
Juan Carlos

In article , Juan Carlos wrote: :more easy.

:in Hyperterminal, put the "show run" command and select the output and :"copy"

That will not save the -entire- configuration. "show run" deliberately obscures some items such as isakmp keys (at least it does on the PIX.) tftp will get you the exact configuration.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

in Hyperterminal the show run output stops at the end of the page and displays "--- more ---". then I have to press enter one line at a time.

any way to get the output to not stop after the page is full?

thanks,

-Steve

Reply to
Steve Richter

thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

now the next problem ... :)

In windows 2000, there is no tftp server. I found this code from someone who has the same requirements as me:

formatting link
"...This application is the beginning of a program I want to use to download switch/router configuration files via TFTP and archive them. This application merely asks for an IP address and a filename then it receives the file via TFTP and displays it in a RichTextBox. ..."

"...I searched all over the web for a TFTP application written in C# but could find none 'freely' available, and was not about to spend $400 to get a control. I came up with the following app which does what I need so I figured I would share it. I am not a professional programmer, I am a network engineer so if some of the code is ugly then.... J . This app is the beginning of a program I want to use to download switch/router config files via TFTP and archive them. This App merely asks for an IP address and a filename then it receives the file via TFTP and displays it in a RichTextBox. ..."

I am just starting to work with this person's code. My first question is that if the cisco 831 wants a tftp server and file name and this program also wants a server and file name, how will the two work together?

Can the cisco function as the tftp server, in effect tftp'ing the config to itself? Then this program comes along and receives the config file from the cisco tftp server?

thanks,

-Steve

Reply to
Steve Richter

In article , Steve Richter wrote: :now the next problem ... :)

:In windows 2000, there is no tftp server.

solarwinds or KiwiCatTools

formatting link
install one of the several unix-like environments for windows (such as AT&T's UWin, amongst others.)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

got it! ( big grin ). the kiwi tools work great. No time to celebrate .... onto the next item.

-Steve

Reply to
Steve Richter

term len n

Sets the 'page' length, setting n to zero disables paging.

I like

formatting link
I think that cisco now suggest it, however it has been around for years.

60-100k .exe, no install. no magic. Just works.
Reply to
anybody43

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com schrieb:

Yep. I like the Browse directory feature.

I have different tftp root directories, for keeping it tidy. Just change to the right directory before starting the tftp transfer.

Reply to
Uli Link

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.