Cisco running-config replication

Hello,

I would like to configure a spare router to automatically download the running-config every hour of the production router..

What is possible to do with cisco?

It is possible to easily schedule a config replication process?

What do you suggest for me?

My routers are Cisco 2610xm and 2811

Kind regards

Pilu

Reply to
Pilu
Loading thread data ...

In article , Pilu wrote: :I would like to configure a spare router to automatically download the :running-config every hour of the production router..

:What is possible to do with cisco?

:My routers are Cisco 2610xm and 2811

The 2610xm is, I'm fairly sure, not sophisticated enough to do that, so it would have to be operated upon by the outside.

I don't know if the 2811 is sophisticated enough; if it is, it would have to be by some funky tcl programming, and I do not -remember- the 28xx as having tcl [but could easily be wrong.] Exactly what you can do with tcl is not well documented, I have read.

:It is possible to easily schedule a config replication process?

:What do you suggest for me?

Are the 2610xm and 2811 configured the same right down to the interface names? And do they support the same configuration file versions and the same features? I would doubt it: the 2811 is an integrated services router that supports a bunch of features not available on the 2610xm.

Anyhow, what I would suggest is that you use SNMP to trigger a tftp upload of the configuration you want to replicate, to a tftp server, and that then you use SNMP to trigger a tftp download of that file to the other router. You will find that a -lot- easier than trying to program tcl right on one of the routers.

The 2610xm is, I am sure, not designed to be able to handle configuration failover.

Does your production router configuration really change often enough to make copying it once an hour worthwhile? Are there several people authorized to modify its configuration "on the fly" ?

With SNMP you might be able to detect the time of the last configuration write, and only bother with the upload/download if a change had been made. That probe would probably be fairly light-weight -- you could probably schedule that kind of check every 10 minutes or so. And if you do upload onto a tftp server, then you could check for differences in the configurations [beyond the comment that gives the time the configuration was written] and skip the download if there are no differences.

I wonder, though, whether you wouldn't be better off *not* automating the configuration transfer, and instead set up HSRP failover between the routers.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Hi Walter,

Thank you very much for your response !

I have not been very clear with my first post..

In fact, i have to set up this type of replication in 2 agencies.

The first one have two 2811 (one productive, the other as spare) the second have two 2610 xm...But the goal is to use the same replication process!

HSRP is little bit difficult for the moment, because we want also to make the same replication with our 4006 backbone switches ... and we haven't enough redundant link to make a compleet HSRP configuration (router+switch)

Have you some example or documentation for SNMP and tftp tasks? i am not very familiar with it..

Thank you for your help

Regards

Pilu

Walter Roberson a écrit :

Reply to
Pilu

In article , Pilu wrote: :Have you some example or documentation for SNMP and tftp tasks? i am not :very familiar with it..

Cisco has a useful technical note on this topic,

formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Interesting!

I am thinking about changing dynamically the ip address of the spare router with snmp...but i cannot find the right oid to modify with snmpset ..have you an idea ?

thank you!

Walter Roberson a écrit :

formatting link

Reply to
Pilu

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.