Cisco Router - COPY feature ?!?!

Hello,

Please, can someone tell me how to I create a (COPY) mirror of all traffic in a Cisco router to another machine ?

Thank you.

Reply to
Zgrp
Loading thread data ...

In article , Zgrp wrote: :Please, can someone tell me how to I create a (COPY) mirror of all :traffic in a Cisco router to another machine ?

Please read the documentation about SPAN and RSPAN .

Reply to
Walter Roberson

On 17.08.2005 08:13 Walter Roberson wrote

How does that help when you also have serial connections?

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

Hi

Thank you for reply. I had looked the RSPAN and SPAN configuration, but it appear to be a feature in switchs only, not routers.

My router doesn't understand it:

CISCO#port monitor FastEthernet0 ^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

CISCO#conf FastEthernet0 ^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

CISCO#conf t Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z. CISCO(config)#port monitor interface ^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

CISCO(config)#port monitor FastEthernet0 ^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

CISCO(config)#conf t FastEthernet ^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

CISCO(config)#int FastEthernet % Incomplete command.

CISCO(config)#int FastEthernet0 CISCO(config-if)#port monitor interface ^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

CISCO(config-if)#port monitor FastEthernet0 ^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

CISCO(config-if)#snoop interface FastEthernet0 0/0/1 direction both ^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

CISCO(config-if)#set span ^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

CISCO(config-if)#exit CISCO(config)#set span ^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

CISCO(config)#

Are you sure it work with routers ? Can you give me a example ? Thank you again...

Reply to
Zgrp

On 19.08.2005 21:57 Zgrp wrote

Of course it doesn't work with routers. But as you may connect each Ethernet router port to a switch, you may apply the command to the switch.

This doesn't help you when you have serial interfaces.

Afaik Cisco is working on an interception interface which will allow you what you are looking for. Currently there is no standard way for your task.

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

:> Are you sure it work with routers ? Can you give me a example ?

:Of course it doesn't work with routers. But as you may connect each :Ethernet router port to a switch, you may apply the command to the switch.

Zgrp's example showed an attempt to monitor a FastEthernet port. The following link gives instructions on configuration for the Cisco 7600 router:

formatting link
According to the Feature Navigator, SPAN is supported on a wide selection of devices, including the 85x, x800, 2600, and 36xx [amongst others]. Support started in 12.1AX and proceeded through quite a number of 12.1 and 12.2 lettered releases (12.3 lettered releases too), and entered the mainstream at 12.3 and 12.2T.

:This doesn't help you when you have serial interfaces.

The documentation for SPAN is deceiving: it says that it applies to

*all* routed interfaces (and yes, routed interfaces are -specifically- mentioned, not just switched), but when one looks at the configuration examples only the ethernet series of interfaces are permitted.
Reply to
Walter Roberson

Hi,

Thank you for good information.

Cheers,

Reply to
Zgrp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.