Cisco OER vs. Internet loadbalance appliances

We are a medium/small network with 2 different ISPs (ATT and TimeWarner) and 1 Cisco 2620 and 2 Cisco 2514 routers outside our ASA firewall using CEF loadbalancing, RIP2, dual NATs for outgoing loadbalance. For incoming connections, we use PBR plus a different DNS server for each ISP. So far it works OK but our TimeWarner ISP tend to have more performance problems and furthermore the 2514 (having to do NAT) to TimeWarner peaks out sporadically for several minutes, causing internet problems for roughly half of our users. I thought about writing an interactive script to drop the default route for an ISP when it experiences problems but am afraid it won't be worth the effort for performance problems.

Has anyone actually implemented the new Cisco Optimized Edge Routing feauture? What's your experience? How does it compare with some of the low cost Internet appliances (around or under $1000) like Linksys, xincom, Zyxel, or Alvaco Network's Optiqroute? I understand I also need to invest in newer Cisco router to do OER.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

daniel

Reply to
Barney
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.