OER and load balancing

Hi,

I'll hope there are some people here who are familiar with Cisco OER (Optimized Edge Routing)

We are planning to implement it on the connections to our 2 ISP's. I have still some questions:

- When using default routes to the ISP's. I do not understand how OER is load balancing between the two default routes? Or is this impossible? I have read that you don't need a full BGP route table exchange when using OER.

- I have found that Cisco OER is supported in 12.3(8)T. Which feature set you need? Is it supported in the IP based feature set or do you need some advanced enterprise feature set?

Diagram:

| FW--| |--Router1(OER Master)---ISP1 | | | | | | | | | | | | |--Router2(OER)---ISP2 FW--| |

ISP connections are 100 BaseTx (limitted to 20 Mbit/s)

Regards,

tom dot lauwereins add ardatis dot com

Reply to
news.scarlet.be
Loading thread data ...

OER has an external controller ( read LINUX host) that monitors the traffic flows using netflow and then injects routes as required to each OER router under its control to achieve the desired load balancing.

OER only performs outbound load balancing as far as I know.

The technology used is referred to as Router Controllers and there are a number of companies offering product in this arena.

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.