Question about PBR

Hello I am planning to use a Cisco 3745 128F/512D

PBR, is CEF switched or process switched?

I am planning a single large router with 11 dsl wics (11 dsl links)

since someone needs to go out with a specific dsl and so on, I will implement Policy based routing on it.

How will it impact performances?

Reply to
Elia S.
Loading thread data ...

My experiences with PBR and CEF on a 3725 with two DSL wics were not very good. For a while I struggled with the system and after some time it was decided to connect a VLAN switch and external DSL modems that were in a transparent mode bridging between PPPoA and ethernet (hard to find).

But only after more time, when we dropped the use of DSL and went for a single fiber which no longer required PBR, we could enable CEF without tricky problems.

(this was in a configuration where a site-to-site VPN was configured over the parallel DSL links, using GRE tunnels policy routed over the different DSLs and bundled by using EIGRP)

About the DSL wic: we found that the wic underperformed. A consumer grade DSL modem from Thomson would consistently give better performance (better bitrate) over the given line. This was kind of strange as it used the same Alcatel chipset. Maybe there were noise problems in the Cisco design.

Furthermore, I hope you realize that those wics will NOT do ADSL2(+). This does not make them very attractive today, at least not in our country. Maybe it is different for you.

Reply to
Rob

Hello

I have multiple ADSL (adsl1 type, 7M/512k) and for each adsl, i have a /28 ip range.

I need to nat 1-1 the public ip to machines. Each machine need to know where to go out. So no vpn or strange complex thing here!! Just plain 1-1 nat.

"Rob" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@xs8.xsall.nl...

Elia S. wrote:

My experiences with PBR and CEF on a 3725 with two DSL wics were not very good. For a while I struggled with the system and after some time it was decided to connect a VLAN switch and external DSL modems that were in a transparent mode bridging between PPPoA and ethernet (hard to find).

But only after more time, when we dropped the use of DSL and went for a single fiber which no longer required PBR, we could enable CEF without tricky problems.

(this was in a configuration where a site-to-site VPN was configured over the parallel DSL links, using GRE tunnels policy routed over the different DSLs and bundled by using EIGRP)

About the DSL wic: we found that the wic underperformed. A consumer grade DSL modem from Thomson would consistently give better performance (better bitrate) over the given line. This was kind of strange as it used the same Alcatel chipset. Maybe there were noise problems in the Cisco design.

Furthermore, I hope you realize that those wics will NOT do ADSL2(+). This does not make them very attractive today, at least not in our country. Maybe it is different for you.

Reply to
Elia S.

Meanwhile, at the comp.dcom.sys.cisco Job Justification Hearings, Rob chose the tried and tested strategy of:

Ditto this. Even an HWIC-1ADSL-M with a recent IOS just doesn't seem to perform anywhere near as well as you'd expect for the price. Main problems seen:

o Not resyncing to a lower speed to avoid packet loss when the noise margin drops. Don't know if the DSLAM is implicated here, but I only seem to see it with Cisco. There were apparently some target noise margin parameters in older IOSs but they're not available any more. Shut/no shut on the ATM fixes this.

o Mysterious loss of sync requiring a reload to resolve. No amount of shut/no shut'ing the ATM interface gets you past it. TACs answer was to blame the ISP. BT Wholesale are of course uninterested in faults that go away with a reboot of the CPE.

o Poor performance on long lines. In one example the 877-M gets 0.9M, a Zyxel P660 gets 1.6M and a "BT Business Hub" [2Wire, I think] gets 2.1M.

Reply to
alexd

There are software upgrades available for some CISCO ADSL firmware. Later IOS also can have better firmware too.

sh int dsl shows version

I have had good experience with these upgrades.

The upgrades were posted here: ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/ (includes hwic-1adsl1)

and the old stuff is still there but they are now in the main IOS upgrade menu as I recall.

You just name the file appropriately and put it in the root of the flash.

Reply to
bod43

Meanwhile, at the comp.dcom.sys.cisco Job Justification Hearings, bod43 chose the tried and tested strategy of:

I will try this. There's a pair of 877-Ms on ASDL2+ at the same site where I regularly have to get onto one or the other to shut/no shut to clear the packet loss. I will do one and not the other and see what happens :-)

Reply to
alexd

There is later software for the 877 (not sure about M) in the main IOS site now.

I am on 4.0.18 here.

Reply to
bod43

Meanwhile, at the comp.dcom.sys.cisco Job Justification Hearings, bod43 chose the tried and tested strategy of:

Right. Which IOS? 12.4.24 seems to have 3.0.14.

Reply to
alexd

Sorry if I was not clear enough.

4.0.18 is a seperate ADSL firmware file.

It is not in the ftp directory previously posted since cisco now put the ADSL firmware in the main (service contract required) software upgrade web site. I have not looked for a while and I don't know what version might now be the latest.

Why don't you drop me an email? I don't normally read the mail address in teh headers but I can make an exception:-)

My IOS is 12.4.15(T7). But that is not relevant since I am using an external firmware file.

My experience of this stuff is now quite old and does not involve ADSL2 or 2+, however the previously discussed upgrades for sure made a big difference to plain old ADSL.

Reply to
bod43

OIC.

I've got a CCO login so I'll try that first. Thanks anyway.

Reply to
alexd

Hello my experience is:

C2651XM with the 12.4(25b) IPBASEK9 and two WIC1ADSL Wics, one rev C0, the other B0

My situation is the following:

ATM0/0 Alcatel 20150 chipset information ATU-R (DS) ATU-C (US) Modem Status: Showtime (DMTDSL_SHOWTIME) DSL Mode: ITU G.992.1 (G.DMT) Annex A ITU STD NUM: 0x01 0x1 Vendor ID: 'ALCB' 'TSTC' Vendor Specific: 0x0000 0x0000 Vendor Country: 0x00 0xB5 Capacity Used: 91% 78% Noise Margin: 8.5 dB 13.0 dB Output Power: 20.0 dBm 11.0 dBm Attenuation: 20.0 dB 11.5 dB Defect Status: None None Last Fail Code: None Selftest Result: 0x00 Subfunction: 0x15 Interrupts: 1333 (0 spurious) PHY Access Err: 0 Activations: 1 LED Status: ON LED On Time: 100 LED Off Time: 100 Init FW: embedded Operation FW: embedded SW Version: 3.8131 FW Version: 0x1A04

Interleave Fast Interleave Fast Speed (kbps): 0 8128 0 640 Cells: 0 2145409397 0 638350738 Reed-Solomon EC: 0 0 0 0 CRC Errors: 0 862 1 0 Header Errors: 0 523 0 0 Bit Errors: 0 0 BER Valid sec: 0 0 BER Invalid sec: 0 0

My max downlaod speed is 741Kbyte/sec - 5,9Mbit

The WIC DSL Bus can be set to a bitrate of 7000000 clock rate aal5 7000000

Reply to
Elia S.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.