Cisco Manufacturing

You may wish to investigate Cisco Authorized Distributors Worldwide:

formatting link
as well as the John Chambers Q & A about Cisco's Global Virtual Manufacturing:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Worldwide United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294 U.S. Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 Website:

formatting link

Reply to
BradReeseCom
Loading thread data ...

In article , Me wrote: :My understanding is that Cisco has about 32 factories making their :equipment, 2 of which they own and the rest are factories they :outsource to.

:A couple of questions: :1) Does anyone know where all these factories are?

I'm wondering if you are asking the right question?

If Cisco contracts for DB9 cable shells from a factory in Timbukto, and RJ45 connectors from a factory in Wawa, and Cat5 cable from a factory in Flin Flon, and has all these parts shipped to a factory in Wala Wala for assembly into console serial cables, then that is 4 factories outsourced to.

If Cisco buys one chip from one factory, a second chip from a different one, memory from a third, capacitors from a fourth, power supplies from a fifth... the factories outsourced to add up pretty quickly.

:I am aware of Mexico and a couple of others, and was hoping to find :the full list, or failing that an estimate of whether much Cisco :equipment is made in the US.

But in these days of international trade in electronic parts, what does it mean for equipment to be "made" in a particular place?

Cisco often uses serial-number prefixes to indicate the manufacturering location. Prefixes I have been able to find include:

CAT - common prefix for Catalyst switches. CHK - alternative prefix for Catalyst switches. Speculation: Hong Kong? FAA - Flextronics, San Jose CA USA FAB - speculation: second flextronics location? JAB JAC JEU - speculation: europe? JMX - speculation: mexico? SAG SMA VDF

One of the manufacturering locations is in the Czech Republic

formatting link
Distribution (but not manufactuering) sites are listed at
formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Hey all,

My understanding is that Cisco has about 32 factories making their equipment, 2 of which they own and the rest are factories they outsource to.

A couple of questions:

1) Does anyone know where all these factories are?

2) Does anyone know what factories are in the US and how big they are....as in does a lot of Cisco equipment get made in the US?

I am aware of Mexico and a couple of others, and was hoping to find the full list, or failing that an estimate of whether much Cisco equipment is made in the US.

Thanks

Reply to
Me

Very interesting info...thanks.

My "manufactured in" I mean in which company does the device gain its biggest value - this will often be the place of the main and final assembly of the device. . For example all the chips might be from all over the place but they are assembled into a router chassis and tested etc ready for shipping in San Jose, so San Jose would be considered the place where it is "manufactured".

I am particularly interested in cards, routers, switches.

The serial number prefix is very useful...thanks!

Reply to
Richard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.