Cisco for load balancing w/o BGP

I'm wondering if any of you are familiar with a Cisco product that provides outbound load balancing over several links w/o using BGP.

Basically, Cisco's equivalent to:

- Linksys RV082:

formatting link
SonicWall PRO 3060:
formatting link
And the like...

I figure that, since a Cisco-based Linksys device offers this, there must be a more enterprise Cisco product offering it, too, but the Cisco reps I've talked to haven't been very helpful.

Thanks,

Reply to
Yoann Roman
Loading thread data ...

Just configure multiple default routes, and it will load share over all of them.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

That's not what the Cisco SE's have been telling me. They're suggesting using CEF on top of multiple default routes to get any type of load balancing. It's apparently not as robust as other solutions by SonicWall / FatPipe/ F5, but it seems to be Cisco's answer right now.

Anyone ever used CEF?

Reply to
Yoann Roman

You need to use CEF if you want per-packet load balancing without excess overhead. If you don't enable CEF, the default is per-destination load balancing, unless you turn off the route-cache, but that can have serious performance impact.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

What about getting per connection load balancing (with TCP, not UDP obviously)?

That's the approach I've seem implemented on alternative products. Based on what the Cisco SE said, CIOS only has per destination or per packet load balancing, but no round robin per connection load balancing.

Thanks.

Reply to
Yoann Roman

IIRC, one of the options with CEF is per-flow load balancing.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

That would be nice, but I don't see it. Per-packet or per-destination are the only types that it seems to support unless I'm missing something obvious.

Configuring a Load-Balancing Scheme for CEF Traffic:

formatting link
What I'm getting at with per-connection is that, based on the above, if I'm downloading 2 large files from one site, only one link will be used while the others just sit idle.

Thanks,

Reply to
Yoann Roman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.