Cisco Aironet 1200 Access point

I have a Cisco Aironet 1200B wireless access point and I would like to upgrade the software, I have had a good look aroung the Cisco website and honestly my head is spinning, could someone please explain the process in simple terms,I have managed to convert VXWorks to the Ion software but I cant get the Ion software to upgrade, I have downloaded the 3C Server TFTP Software. The problem is me, I have no idea what Im doing and would really appreciate it if someone could walk me through the process, thank in advance.

Reply to
KevS
Loading thread data ...

see the section "Working with Software Images" at

formatting link

1. connnect to the console port of access point

1. ping IP address of TFTP server to ensure it is reachable

2. execute archive command to copy image from TFTP server

1. reload

Reply to
Merv

formatting link

Thanks for the reply Merv, this is totally new to me and I was hoping for a bit more simple step by step direction.

Reply to
KevS

formatting link
>

The cisco documents are quite easy to follow once you get started. There will of course be terrible difficulties - what /is/ a console cable, what /is/ tftp. If you have no experience of IT then you are starting at quite a hard place and if things go wrong it just gets harder. If on the other hand you do have some experience that you will at least be able to start following the instructions and will be stuck somewhere.

What document are you reading and where are you stuck?

As you reading Merv's instructions? Where are you stuck with these?

I am not that familiar with the Aironets and so cannot just make up instructions, however I can follow the cisco documents.

Have you seen this? :-

formatting link
Cisco Aironet AP1200 to IOS

Especially the "Recover from a Failure" section?

Reply to
Bod43

formatting link
> >

formatting link
Upgrade Cisco Aironet AP1200 to IOS

I have managed to convert the AP to ion spftware but Im stuck trying to upgrade the ion software, so I guess you could say Mervs point 3, I keep getting error messages in telnet telling me it unable to open archive file

Reply to
KevS

formatting link
>

The easiest way is through the web interface , and you wont need the TFTP server.

Assuming you already have a copy of the new IOS version on your PC, and assuming you have access to the AP configuration web interface.

Just go in the menu at the left of the web interface and click on SYSTEM SOFTWARE then on Software Upgrade. Next using the Browse button select the new IOS filename and click on Upgrade .

Reply to
mcaissie

formatting link
>>

I already tried that and it didnt work, It actually says in the release notes that the http upgrade wont work as the file is to big

Reply to
KevS

Once you have a PC connected to the console make sure you enable session logging in order to capture commands entered and AP response.

If you have any further issue, please post all of the session logs.

Reply to
Merv

I still cant get it to work, Man this is frustrating, this is the command I have been trying archive download-sw /overwrite /reload tftp://192.168.16.20/c1200-k9w7-ta=AD r.123-8.JA2.tar the access point is getting the message as the lights change color etc but it is still returning the error cant open file message

Reply to
KevS

Maybe the issue is just with tftp? Does you tftp server have a status info or log? I like tftpd32.exe partly since it has a log window that tells you about file opens, transfer progress, tftp client address, etc

formatting link
install, download, unzip, execute. You need to set the directory that the files are to be served from and if the PC has more than one interface to select the one you want.

You could possibly verify the tftp server from another (or the same?) PC. c:\\temp\\>tftp -i my.ip.address GET c1200-k9w7-ta=AD r.123-8.JA2.tar

Should copy the file from the PC's tftp server to the current directory. e=2Eg. c:\\temp.

Reply to
Bod43

Just got it to work and guess what the problem was? my firewall was stopping it, I turned the firewall off and it worked, thanks everyone for the help

Reply to
KevS

Do you have some sort of personal FW software running? Don't forget to disable it first.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.