Cisco PIX 501 Firmware Upgrade

Hello,

My company is using a Cisco PIX 501 with firmware 6.3(4) and would like to upgrade to the latest version. I have a few questions regarding this since I have not upgraded firmware before on a Cisco device:

1) Can anyone point me to a tutorial on performing the upgrade? 2) How do I obtain the latest firmware? 3) Is it worth it? (The device functions fine). 4) We are also in the process of buying the license upgrade to 50 connections. Should I perform one upgrade before the other?

Thank you very much for any and all help!

Jonathan

Reply to
gremln007
Loading thread data ...

In article , wrote: :My company is using a Cisco PIX 501 with firmware 6.3(4) and would like :to upgrade to the latest version. I have a few questions regarding :this since I have not upgraded firmware before on a Cisco device:

:1) Can anyone point me to a tutorial on performing the upgrade?

cisco.com, or this newsgroup ... the process is very simple. It's easiest from the command line, but I -think- there is a menu to do it from PDM as well.

Put the software on a tftp server. Go into PIX configuration mode. Use the tftp-server command to indicate the right interface and hostname and filename. Then use the "copy tftp flash:bin" command to load in the new version. Reboot when done.

The process is very simple... provided you aren't running low on memory.

:2) How do I obtain the latest firmware?

You need a support contract.

formatting link
in, choose the Downloads link at the top of the list, choose Cisco Secure Software, choose Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software, choose Download PIX Security Appliance Software

Or as the one-step approach,

formatting link

:3) Is it worth it? (The device functions fine).

Mostly bug fixes. Numerous bug fixes. Check out the release notes,

formatting link
:4) We are also in the process of buying the license upgrade to 50 :connections. Should I perform one upgrade before the other?

It doesn't matter in 6.2 and later. In previous versions, you would do the upgrade first and apply the new key as a last step in the upgrade process: back then the only way to put in a new key was to update! Now there's a command to put in a new key.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.