Aironet 1300 range as an access point

Hi all, I'm a new comer to cisco products and I'm experimenting with an Aironet

1300 bridge/AP. I currently have a default configuration and I've used the web based interface to setup a WEP 128 encrypted access point. I get fine results with my 802.11b laptop when I'm in the same room as the AP, however, if I take my laptop into the back yard the signal strenght from the AP gets weak very quickly and drops out completely by the time I reach my driveway (about 30 feet from the AP). The AP is in my stick built home so there's 2 or 3 walls between me and the AP, but it seems like the Aironet 1300 should have coverage at least as good as a $50 Linksys router (which happens to work a good 200 feet from my home). I'm totally new to the cisco world so no suggestion is too obvious. Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply to
Curt
Loading thread data ...

That helps a little. I can get an extra 25 feet or so before it drops off so I can at least get around my yard. Still, the coverage isn't what I would expect from a $500 piece of equipment. I can't help but think I must have something misconfigured. I'm testing this out for a beach-side condo installation (lots of concrete and glass), so if the range is this short in my stick built home, I think it's safe to assume it will be worse in the condo. Thanks for your help and time.

Reply to
Curt

post your config, perhaps you have only the highest data rates allowed?

barry

Reply to
BG

BG, I'm not sure how to obtain the configuration, however the CLI command "show configuration" sounded promising so here goes. If that not the right command, let me know what is and I'll gladly post the results.

ap#show configuration Using 1569 out of 32768 bytes ! version 12.3 no service pad service timestamps debug datetime msec service timestamps log datetime msec service password-encryption ! hostname ap ! enable secret 5 $1$t.hj$.s4dDYrSJX7k20tYXPEvf/ ! username Cisco password 7 096F471A1A0A ip subnet-zero ! ! no aaa new-model ! dot11 ssid CiscoAP1 authentication open infrastructure-ssid optional ! ! ! ! bridge irb ! ! interface Dot11Radio0 no ip address no ip route-cache ! encryption key 1 size 128bit 7 16B9CE23F2A7BF3A6FD10A3EC0C5 transmit-key encryption mode wep mandatory ! ssid CiscoAP1 ! short-slot-time cca 75 concatenation speed basic-1.0 basic-2.0 basic-5.5 6.0 9.0 basic-11.0 12.0 18.0 24.0 36.0

48.0 54.0 station-role non-root wireless-clients infrastructure-client bridge-group 1 bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled ! interface FastEthernet0 no ip address no ip route-cache bridge-group 1 bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled ! interface BVI1 ip address dhcp client-id FastEthernet0 no ip route-cache ! ip http server no ip http secure-server ip http help-path
formatting link
ip radius source-interface BVI1 ! logging snmp-trap emergencies logging snmp-trap alerts logging snmp-trap critical logging snmp-trap errors logging snmp-trap warnings ! control-plane ! bridge 1 route ip ! ! ! line con 0 transport preferred all transport output all line vty 0 4 login local transport preferred all transport input all transport output all line vty 5 15 login transport preferred all transport input all transport output all ! end

Reply to
Curt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.