Cisco 871/SDM 2.2 Default Rule Problem

I recently bought a Cisco 871, and have been messing around with SDM...and have been having a problem with accessing default rules.

If I goto SDM's firewall/acl wizard, and try to create an "advanced firewall", after I choose the inside/outside interfaces, there is a screen with a slider...and I should be able to choose between "SDM_Low", "SDM_Medium" and "SDM_High".

In my case however "SDM_Medium" and "SDM_High" are grayed out....so although there is a slider visible, I cant use it to select SDM_Medium or High.....in essence it is stuck on "SDM_Low".

I have pasted the output from "show version" below.

I have been in contact with Cisco and one of their engineers was able to reproduce this....but they have been slow to tell me if there is a problem with my unit or if this is just a problem with SDM or IOS versions.

So has anybody else seen this? If so were you able to fix it?

BTW this occured right from when I took my router out of the box for the first time - I havent screwed around with anything....and it happens whether or not SDM is installed in the routers flash memory.

I can always create my own policies, but I am wondering if this is not working correctly, maybe something else isnt either.

Thanks in advance for your help. Mike

---------------------------- Cisco IOS Software, C870 Software (C870-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version

12.3(8)YI2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Synched to technology version 12.3(10.3)T2 Technical Support:
formatting link
(c) 1986-2005 by Cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Tue 14-Jun-05 18:58 by ealyon

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)YI2, RELEASE SOFTWARE ROM: Cisco IOS Software, C870 Software (C870-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.3(8)YI2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

router uptime is 34 minutes System returned to ROM by reload at 15:08:46 PCTime Sun Feb 26 2006 System restarted at 15:06:52 PCTime Sun Feb 26 2006 System image file is "flash:c870-advipservicesk9-mz.123-8.YI2.bin" Last reload reason: Reload command

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption. Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:

formatting link
If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to snipped-for-privacy@cisco.com.

Cisco 871 (MPC8272) processor (revision 0x200) with 118784K/12288K bytes of memory. Processor board ID FHK100320UX MPC8272 CPU Rev: Part Number 0xC, Mask Number 0x10

5 FastEthernet interfaces 128K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 28672K bytes of processor board System flash (Intel Strataflash)

Configuration register is 0x2102

Reply to
Mike_B
Loading thread data ...

I had this problem myself. See below for the solution.

This is why you have the problem. Once I upgraded my IOS to the latest version 12.4.4.T1 I had the full functionality of the slider. I think the latest version is the version that adds this feature to the 871's feature-set.

Reply to
gray.wizard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.