Cisco 837 and 7Mbit ADSL Line

Hello is a cisco 837 capable of using a 7mbit adsl line? (negotiated 8128 ADSL-1 type line)

I mean.. since that router does just NAT and nothing else, is the cpu capable of transferring 7mbit down and 512k up?

thank you

Reply to
Elia S.
Loading thread data ...

raw thruput figures for IP forwarding:

formatting link

NAT takes some extra steps over simple IP forwarding, so may not reach these numbers - but you have a bit of headroom

note the perf is usually measured on Ethernet ports - that gives the minimum overhead, so driving the ADSL line may cause an issue.

good luck

Reply to
Stephen

Hello just yesterday night I was doing some tests:

I have on the same site, two different ADSL lines:

1) 7M/512 - fast - negotiated 8128 2) 7M/512 - interleaved - negotiated 7616

On line 1 I have a C2651XM with 12.4(25b) and WIC1-ADSL (rev C0) on line 2 I have a c837 with 12.4(25b)

From the same site, with wide bandwidth, I download:

1) from the 2651xm , 690Kbyte/sec - (5,3bit) cpu 40% 2) from the c837 , 799Kbyte/sec (6,3mbit) - cpu 75%

The configurations are exactly the same. According to

formatting link
I am pretty sure that the 2651xm has some limitations in the wic bus. I have raised it to 70000 but It seems to be unable to max-out a 7mbit line.

Today I will try with another c837 on the line (1) and I will post the results.

"Stephen" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

raw thruput figures for IP forwarding:

formatting link

NAT takes some extra steps over simple IP forwarding, so may not reach these numbers - but you have a bit of headroom

note the perf is usually measured on Ethernet ports - that gives the minimum overhead, so driving the ADSL line may cause an issue.

good luck

Reply to
Elia S.

The line speeds you have are before ATM overheads are allowed for.

Depending on where you are, there may be some overhead on the line as different operators set up ADSL differently.

However 7 Mbps with ATM overhead is at absolute best case 7 * 48/53 (and then with some added packet header overhead).

so around 6.3 Mbps, then you have Ethernet frame overhead in that.

so item 2 is approx 6.4 Mbps, and that probably means the negotiated rate is a bit over 7 Mbps.

WIC / WIC slots were limited to 8 Mbps - i suspect this was a bus limit for so ADSL may be input + output including internal overhead, so your 7 Mbps down / 512 up may be too much.

formatting link
HWICs are much faster - 400 Mbps (but if you install a WIC you probably fall back to the old limit).

837 may have an integrated WIC or possibly something a bit better - never opened one up to look.

Finally you should swap the routers between the 2 lines during testing

- the ISP may have a bottleneck for the IP thruput on a line which reduces the available performance.

Reply to
Stephen

Hello at the moment I disabled the c2651xm and replaced it with a Cisco 837. It dowlnoads at a peak of 810Kbyte/sec on line 1, so definitely faster than the C2651xm

The 837 seems to manage better the adsl, maybe because it is born for ADSL line and have a dedicated bus for it, the 2651xm is multipurpose and has a terrible limit on the wic slot + wic adsl.

at the moment I will keep the c837.

One drawback I have is that now I am not able to graph in cacti 0.87g the number of NAT translations. The OID with 2651xm doesn't work on the c837.

some help?

"Stephen" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

The line speeds you have are before ATM overheads are allowed for.

Depending on where you are, there may be some overhead on the line as different operators set up ADSL differently.

However 7 Mbps with ATM overhead is at absolute best case 7 * 48/53 (and then with some added packet header overhead).

so around 6.3 Mbps, then you have Ethernet frame overhead in that.

so item 2 is approx 6.4 Mbps, and that probably means the negotiated rate is a bit over 7 Mbps.

WIC / WIC slots were limited to 8 Mbps - i suspect this was a bus limit for so ADSL may be input + output including internal overhead, so your 7 Mbps down / 512 up may be too much.

formatting link
HWICs are much faster - 400 Mbps (but if you install a WIC you probably fall back to the old limit).

837 may have an integrated WIC or possibly something a bit better - never opened one up to look.

Finally you should swap the routers between the 2 lines during testing

- the ISP may have a bottleneck for the IP thruput on a line which reduces the available performance.

Reply to
Elia S.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.