Cisco 827H ADSL Router. Help Please?

I just picked up an old 827H router from a little old lady's garage. She say's it's been sitting there for a couple of years gathering dust.

So, I've taken it home, and tried to set it up and use it.

I could not get it to assign an ip address to my computer, and following the documentation on the cisco website I tried to set my address on the computer manually to 10.10.10.2 and access the router by

This failed.

So I got hold of a console cable (but I don't really know how to use it properly)

I have got hyperterminal to talk to the router.

It comes up with:

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(4r)XM2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) TAC Support:

formatting link
Copyright (c) 2002 by cisco Systems, Inc. C800/SOHO series (Board ID: 20-62) platform with 32768 Kbytes of main memory

Rommon 1 >

That's it.

Can someone please tell me how to reset it back to factory defaults? ie: IP address 10.10.10.1 DHCP server to give my computer an ip address let me log in to the web setup tool to setup the router with ISP details etc using GUI.

many thanks in advance

Al

Reply to
estarriol33
Loading thread data ...

estarriol33 skrev:

There might be a button on it you have to press during boot. Im not really familiar with the 800 series.

The Rommon prompt you get means that the software was not loaded, this could be for several reasons.

Check out this web page:

formatting link

-SAto

Reply to
SAto

Yes the software image is not loaded.....give ? and get all the possible commands at this prompt....make use of dev command to list the file systems in the router and then execute dir which will list all the software images available in this FS.....now use boot to bring the device up.....after that you can configure the router to contact Ur pc for IP Address...Hope this helps....

~ Siva

SAto wrote:

formatting link

Reply to
Siva

Greetings,

There is nothing wrong with an 827, darned good ADSL unit, I use one myself....

Your Cisco has stopped in the ROM Monitor mode (ROMMON), also know as the bootstrap loader, during the BOOT process for a number of possible reasons - 1. It has been told to NOT continue the standard boot up sequence. Normally they automatically load an IOS (Cisco's Internet Operating System) image and continue to run. 2. It has been told to boot an IOS image, but there is no IOS image available to be booted, 3. It has been told to boot an IOS image, but the IOS image it has found is corrupt. If this happened, normally you would also see something preceding the text you quoted so this is unlikely 4. The storage that holds the IOS image (known as FLASH memory) has failed. I would expect you would see an error message about this so this is also unlikely.

To try and continue using the default settings, type the word "boot" (without the quotes). If it finds a valid bootable image, it should then start up and run at that point, BUT it will never boot automatically without other changes being made.

Let us know how you go and we can take things from there.

Lastly, at the ROMON prompt, type ? and press enter. That should display a list of the valid commands that can be given at the ROMMOM prompt. Post all the output from that prompt in your next message.

Cheers..............pk.

Reply to
Peter

Also whats the Config register set to (show ver should get it ) from memory 0x2102 is the normal register seting to bootstrap then load ios

Reply to
developers

Thanks Peter,

I finally found a company in Auckland who were EXTREMELY helpful.

The technician talked me through over the phone how to set it up.

Not factory default, I still don't have access to the web setup tool, but the router is now fully functional. All setup from the command line.

go to

formatting link
if you have any cisco router problems. they have several premade configuration files you can cut and paste into hyperteminal they also have a configuration wizard to make a config file for cut&paste.

Regards

Al

Reply to
estarriol33

Hi Al,

The IFM Cisco Config Wizard for 827, 827H, 837, SOHO97:

formatting link
as well as the IFM Cisco IPv6 Config Wizard for 837, SOHO97:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Network Engineer Directory

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant Website:
formatting link

Reply to
BradReese.Com=A

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.