Cisco 827 Voip

Hello, I have a Cisco 827-4V router. It has 4 voice ports but I could not find any kind of documentation on how to set up the 4 voice ports as fxs ports and how to swet up a voip connection to my voip provider, since this router should support voip using standard telephones on the voice ports. Anyone is aware of some config examples ? Thanks

Rick

Reply to
RJ45
Loading thread data ...

Hi Rick,

Your fist stop should be the Cisco Web Site, it has a mass of documentation for this device. The following search is for info from the publicly available part of the Cisco site, it should get you started. If you have a Cisco account you should be able to get a lot more specific as well. Just make sure you select the right DSL PROVIDER configuration for your setup, as most of the examples cover EVERYTHING for the device, and not just VoIP.

formatting link
Cheers.............pk.

Reply to
Peter

Yes I read all the documents really but I did not find a way to supply my ID and password to the ipv4:ipaddress of my voip provider. THis is the authentication setting which is presend in all the brand PBX on the market.

I can set the voip gateway, the fxs ports and the phone numbers associated to the ports but I did not find a way to authenticate to my voip gateway

thanks

Rick

Reply to
RJ45

Cisco VOIP is geared more around their solutions, not the market that developed later on around what the VOIP providers do with their ATA boxes.

You'll be looking in the Cisco docs for 'sip ua' in order to register your router with your VOIP provider. There are some limitations in what the 'sip ua' can do in IOS, and later revs offer more flexibility.

Ultimately you may find it too restrictive, and have to get some sort of external box like an * box to tie your 827 to, that can deal with what your VOIP provider expects, and give the basic functionality that your cisco router expects.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Hi Rick,

As Doug indicates, the Cisco solution was ahead of most of the market and leans more towards their specific environments and not what the rest of the world are now doing (similar with Cisco's proprietary ISL Trunking for Etherswitches that they used before 802.1q became popular. Unfortunately the VoIP solutions I have worked with have been either as simple "peer-to-peer" H.323 Gateway type roles or using a pool of 6 x Distributed Cisco Call Managers, so my knowledge on specific details of alternative management environments is rather limited sorry. At no time have I needed to become involved in authentication between VoIP and a legacy PABX (Nortel Merdians in my case.)

However, we are using ATA's for Legacy Phones in "special" cases, so searching the Cisco ATA Doc's may assist with various configuration options for the 827-4V.

Good luck.............pk.

Reply to
Peter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.