Question concerning PIX-FW

Hi there,

I am looking for a hardware FW (for home use) which is passivly cooled >> no fan. So I consider a PIX 501 or 506 because they EOL and therefore very cheap to get. Are both 501 and 506 without a fan?

Furthermore I would like to know the "real-life" throughput of both devices with rules switched on. I have FIOS access with 50 Mb down / 5 Mb up. The FW should be capable of throughput like this.

Any thoughts, advise or concerns appreciated.

Thx...Andy

Reply to
Andy Doe
Loading thread data ...
501 would be better for home use, in my opinion, as 506 it's too much hot after some minutes of usage. At least this is what I experienced.

About the throughput, Cisco says "up to 60Mb". This would be fine for you.

Reply to
Chino

Well thats what cisco says. Do you have some real-world experiences? On a C871 with IOS-FW turned on throughput drops by more than 50%. Thats why I need some real-world values.

Thx..Andy

Reply to
Andy Doe

No. I never reached that bandwidth with the 501, it was installed into a small office with 10Mb Internet connection.

Reply to
Chino

Up to 60Mbps on a 501 or 506? What are you reading? The 501 has a

10Mbps external port, so that is going clearly going to limit you right off the bat. The 506 is only rated for 20Mbps max.

Cisco routers and cisco firewalls are totally different beasts, and you can't compare the two at all. Cisco's low-end routersare very underpowered for the throughput people put through them now-a-days until you get to some decent hardware. It exists aplenty in the cisco lineup, but not at the lower end.

I'd suggest looking out of the cisco lineup for what the OP wants. Something like a FortiGate 50B or 60B doesn't have a fan, and either will push a good part of 100Mbps real world assuming you don't turn on every single IPS/UTM option there is. The ealier entry-level FortiGates probably won't push 100Mbps, but will still be quite decent. The low-end Juniper SSG should also do the same.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Reply to
Chino

formatting link

And now "Cisco Marketing" for $500 - which software version has changed

10Mbps port into 10/100? :-)

Regards, Andrey.

Reply to
Andrey Tarasov

Software version updates can do this? Uh, I really need to have a privileged access to the web site. :)

Reply to
Chino

Ah, I get the 501 and 506 reversed, its the 506 that has the 10Mbps ethernet port (and the 506e has a 10/100Mbps).

I have a 501 around here on some little used throwback network, so I tested it today. I managed to get a little above 40Mbps of throughput on it with real world tests.

I still think you'd be better served by a little FGT-50B though.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.