Can a non POE switch pass POE?

So I am looking to implement power over Ethernet for the office, I was looking at the Dell PowerConnect 3448P which supplies POE to all 48 ports, the question now is, if I setup a Dell NON-POE Switches in-between the POE device and the POE switch mentioned above, will the POE device receive the power, or will it be discarded by the NON-POE switch.

Thanks in advance, Marcel

Reply to
mmanning
Loading thread data ...

You will probably find that it will not work

Reply to
youcantoo

I called Dell and asked them and they did not know and said they would have an engineer call me in a few days, do they know anything about what they sell?

Reply to
mmanning

The power will not even be turned on by the 3448P unless it sees a PoE 'client' at the other end of the wire, and since the other switches aren't PoE, nothing will happen.

Besides, a PoE supply port can only supply one device, did you expect it to power all the devices hanging off the other switch?

[You could probably hack something up that would work by bypassing the appropriate pairs around the Non-PoE switch to a single output port, but that would only work with one of the two flavors of PoE...]
Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Absolutely not going to work. Most non-POE switches not only fail to pass the power, but they even make things worse by shortening unused pairs 1 and 4 and connecting them to the ground. The power will not even be applied to a cable that goes to a non-POE switch to begin with.

-------------------------------------

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

LOL. Absolutely not...

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Well, to be fair, you don't know what PoE is or how it's used, don't you know anything about what you are buying?

[Yeah, Dell should know, but I'm not surprised to learn that their salesdroids don't know everything about every product they sell. In fact, I'd never trust them to answer an important question about required functionality properly either. Do your research (yes, you are by asking here) and know what you want before you buy from Dell or anyone.]
Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I did some minimial research, I am just looking to power about 6 access points throughout the building and thought that would be the best bet, but since it does not pass the power obviously it would no be the best solution when I can just use power injectors for alot less money.

Thanks for everyones response, Marcel

Reply to
mmanning

Yeah, get 6 PoE single-port injectors from PhiHong and put them on the ports you need PoE, and save a ton of money.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.