CatOS to IOS?

We acquire a few WS-C2948G-GE-TX and WS-C2948. Seems like they have CatOS. Is it possible to change them to the more common typical IOS? If so, what's the cost associated with the upgrade and any implications from an upgrade?

Reply to
Calvin.Lai
Loading thread data ...

In article , wrote: :We acquire a few WS-C2948G-GE-TX and WS-C2948. Seems like they have :CatOS. Is it possible to change them to the more common typical IOS?

Not according to the product overview.

formatting link
The Cisco Catalyst 2948G-GE-TX uses the same feature-rich Cisco Catalyst OS software as the Cisco Catalyst 2948G, the Cisco Catalyst 2980G-A, and Cisco Catalyst 4000 Series switches.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Nope, its a CatOS only switch. CatOS is pretty typical cisco for a few years ago, although I think they are stopping teaching it now-a-days.

I have a few myself, its a nice product, and the latest CatOS work just as well as IOS, just different.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

The 6500 series still ships with CatOS on it, it's the only switch Cisco still ships this way. Up until fairly recently, the IOS for the 6500 series lacked many features, but today, it's getting closer to equivalency. IOS still lacks some basic items on this switch such as autoqos, which is the reason I still have CatOS on mine.

Plus, when you run a 13 blade switch with 8 48 ports blades, its a hell of a lot easier to manage >>We acquire a few WS-C2948G-GE-TX and WS-C2948. Seems like they have

Reply to
ESM

Hi Calvin,

You may want to investigate the Cisco CatOS Configuration Conversion Tool:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Service Experts

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294 International: 828-277-7272

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

I had a WS-C2948G-GE-TX if you have access to cisco download area because you have a contract with Cisco you can only download CatOS software for that model of switch. you cannot install IOS on it. this is my experience. I had a bad experience with WS-C2948G-GE-TX. This switch won;t let certain broadcasts to pass. IT was impossibls for me to use dhcp on that switch. dhcp requests were filtered. I replaced it with 3 WS-C3750 connected in stack.

Rick

Reply to
RJ45

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.