Catalyst 2950 And Multicast

This is a new one on me. We have about 200 2950's deployed as aggregate switches on the network. I have a client on the network now that has 2 VLAN's that they are using for Multicast traffic. One VLAN accounts for about 6Mbps and the other about 40. Now that these streams are up and running on multiple video stations I can no longer do anything management related to the switches themselves without major latency. For example if I try to ping one of the management addresses of one of the 2950's I get either a timeout or about 2~3k ms response times. Users in various VLAN's on these switches are 100% operational and they are not experiencing any latency on the network, the slowness only pertains to management of the switches themselves. Further the CPUs are only at about 15%. When the 2 VLANs carrying the multicast traffic are pruned out of the trunks to the 2950's the switches respond to pings in under 1ms and ssh/telnet sessions no longer linger between character echoes. My core 6509s are unaffected. Any guesses?

Reply to
cdebella
Loading thread data ...

Is your 2950 management (ip address) in different vlan than workstations? It could be a software bug, which software version you run in 2950?

Reply to
Make

At this point I am indeed thinking bug as I have Foundry's on this network as well that are unaffected.

To answer your question, yes, the management VLAN is 10. The 2 Multicast VLANs are 305 and 306. I have other VLANs on the switches that are just fine as well.

My current rev is 12.1(19)EA1c. Unfortunately I no longer have a login to CCO so I can't check the bug list.

Thanks!

Reply to
cdebella

I think you should upgrade to 12.1(22)EA7. We dont have any problems with these switches and multicast, and we are running 12.1(22)EA6.

formatting link

Reply to
Make

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.