Catalyst 2924 XL Help

Hi all;

Well it has been a long time since i've been here....nice to be back.

I have an old catalyst 2924 xl switch that I am trying to configure for my home network.

I have run the basic setup and put in the ip, gateway and subnet as well as hostname.

I have a cat5 cable running into FasterEthernet 0/1 but I cannot ping the machine, much less ping the network or even my gateway from the switch.

I'm sure i'm just missing something simple and I am over looking since it has been so long since i've touched this switch.

Anyone with any suggestions would be fantastic.

cheers,

Gary

Reply to
ghartl
Loading thread data ...

Hi Gary,

You may wish to investigate the Cisco Troubleshooting Common Issues on the Catalyst 2900XL:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Is the switch port in shutdown state? What does a 'show int faste 0/1' show? Up, down? Are the other ports you plug in in the same VLAN?

Is the switch defaulted, or some random config from before?

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Hi,

Is the PC connected to the same switch...if so is the ip address and the mask in the same range as the ip address and subnet mask on the switch.

What does it says when you do sh ip int br on the switch for that port where the pc is connected???

-Aman Doug Mc> snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

Reply to
ajsingh007

Well problem solved.

In my stupidity, I was using straight through cat5, when I needed crossover as I was hooking the switch up to my cable/dsl router.

I guess once i make the move to my linux router i will migrate back to straight thru.

Cheers and thanks for all the help.

Gary

ajs> Hi,

Reply to
ghartl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.