Circuit City has a sale on Netgear this week

After rebates:

Wired router $10, wireless B $20, G $50, Super G $70, Matching adapters $5, $20, $20 and $50.

Reply to
$Bill
Loading thread data ...

It's twice as fast 108 vs 54 Mbps ?

Reply to
$Bill

formatting link

Me either, but if it's more than $10, I can live with it. ;)

I keep a rebate log and see how long it takes to get my money back. If it takes more than 8 weeks, I start to barrage them with emails/phone calls.

Reply to
$Bill

Apparently it applies to online as well.

formatting link
Although I really don't like rebates.

Reply to
BR

Besides the price, what's the difference between G and Super G?

Rudy

Reply to
R. P.

Rebates suck!

I have a WG602 for $60.00 and a WG311 for $30.00 Only used once. Items were purchased about 2 weeks ago.

Have everything that comes in a retail box.

formatting link

Reply to
K2NNJ

Super G has twice the bandwidth but uses the entire unlicensed 2.4 GHz (in US) band. So only one channel can be used in any given area.

B uses 5 channels (US). Only 1, 6 and 11 are clear of interference.

Given Super G uses the whole band, it is much more likely to interfere with other devices ore be interfered with! Can greatly reduce claimed bandwidth!

gerry

Reply to
gerry

Agreed. If I'm not willing to spend the price *before* any rebates, I won't buy something.

Of course I'll take the time to send in for the rebate, and if it's a big enough rebate I'll raise hell if I don't get it. I still remember debacles like the time Iomega hired a totally incompetent rebate house, and thousands of customers weren't getting rebates. I still remember a business online called CyberRebate who's financial model was based on playing the float between the time customers bought things, and when the rebates would be processed three or four months later, and how lots of people got burned when they went out of business. And I remember a store that did a one-stop rebate, and claimed that they only received the receipt for half the things that were on the same receipt.

I really hate "store" rebates. Manufacture rebates could be a legitimate way of jump-starting sales of product that was already sold to the retailers, who aren't inclined to lower the prices. But if I walk into Joe's Store, and Joe says he'll sell me something for $10 less than the regular price, I want that $10 when I walk-up to the register I don't want to give Joe $10, and then have to send him a letter asking for my $10 back. Either Joe is trying to play a fast one on me, or getting me to give him my complete name and address is worth something.

Does the rebate require a phone number? Read the fine print. You may have just given permission for them to sell your name to telemarketers who can call you even though you're on the Do Not Call List. Don't like how so much paper is wasted on junk mail? You're going to get it after applying for that rebate. Don't like spam? Better not give them an e-mail address.

Could you imagine if General Motors or Chrysler ran their rebates the way the rest of the retail world has perverted them? Would you pay MSRP on an overpriced car, and then have to send mail to both the manufacturer and the dealer to get some money back? Of course not! So when you opt to go for this on lower priced goods whether or not you think you're saying or not, you're saying that you don't mind giving someone money based on a promise that they'll give it back to you in 8 -

12 weeks, and you're willing to take the chance that they won't.

If the rebate isn't an instant one that I get right at the cash register, I will not consider it in my purchase decision. And the more a store depends on holding my cash under the guise of a rebate, the lower my opinion of that store goes. For example, CompUSA has depended so much on those rebates in the past, I consider them no more viable of a company than CyberRebate was, so I don't even look at their ads anymore.

Or to put it into fewer words: Rebates Suck.

Reply to
Warren

In theory it's twice as fast...in the real world, not even close!

Bill Crocker

Reply to
Bill Crocker

Maybe I should have said *advertised* as twice as fast. ;)

Reply to
$Bill

"$Bill" wrote in news:3K6dnS6b0LZ5vZrcRVn- snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

More like 20ish mbps vs. 30ish mbps.

don't expect 50+ mbps let alone 100+ mbps... you'll only get those speeds on a wired connection.

Reply to
Lucas Tam

Note even close to twice! Too prone to interference.

gerry

Reply to
gerry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.