can't set console login password

Hi, I have set my console password on a 1720 router, and saved the config., but when I exit or restart the router there is no password prompt, just goes straight into user exec mode. Is there any setting that disables the console login prompt? Thanks Gerg

Reply to
gergt
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

Just in case, verify the following tasks:

//config mode for the console terminal line

Router(config)#line console 0

//Specify your password

Router(config)#password

//Enable password checking at terminal session login

Router(config)#login

//highly recommended action

Router(config)#copy run start

//Verification

Router(config)#sh run

Router(config)#sh start

Reply to
AJN

Thanks for the tip. In config, when I type "login", I get an "incomplete command" message. login ? gives a response of "authentication or Authentication parameters" so I'm not sure what to put here

Reply to
gergt

I am not sure but maybe you have some kind of authentication turned on that over-rides the "login" comand.

username fred privilege 15 password xxxxxxxx aaa new-model ! ! aaa authentication login userauthenticate local

line vty 0 4 privilege level 15 password 7 xxxxxxxx transport preferred all transport input telnet ssh transport output all

When I telnet ot the router I get:-

"User Access Verification

Username: fred Password:

router#"

Not the "Enabled" mode right away. Not exactly what I would like really but it does what we need.

Reply to
anybody43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.