Password first -login second?

At my CCNA class the routers we use (2600)wont allow you to use the login command(when in line console mode or vty mode) until you have put a password in-however a question on the Cisco site gives the answer as - line vty 0 4 login password cisco its question 3 on the practice questions for Semester 2. Any definitive answer please? The older routers I used would allow it either way-is the Version perhaps? TIA

Reply to
daytime
Loading thread data ...

Unfortunatly, my CNA CCNA 2 Module has been closed for quite some time now. If I remember correctly, that would have been the correct answer. A lot also does depend on the version of the CNA that you're taking. Since I took v3.1, there may have been a few things that were presented in later versions that I know I missed. 2600 routers to the CNA I know are considered old, but that doesn't mean that commands from past routers to present are excluded. Does the question specify if you are using a virtual telnet login or using a console login?

-- Taylor S. Ripley CertGuard Security Executive Join the fight against braindumps!

formatting link

Reply to
Taylor S. Ripley [CertGuard]

Either way works: putting in the password first simply means you don't get the warning message that login won't apply until you have put in the password.

Reply to
John Petersen

on the CCNA exam would password first be the correct answer? thanx

Reply to
daytime

The cisco exam would be unlikely to ask 'What is the correct order?' If you were asked about how to set up password validation on a telnet connection it is more likely to test your knowledge that you needed both the password and the login commands. In a simulation, if this step was required, either order would pass AFAIR, although I just got into the habit of putting in password first in preparation for my exam.

Reply to
John Petersen

Thanks for that-I am hooping to take my CCNA in July-have taken a few practice exams and have been getting around 90% -the applets that open up seem quite straight forward-just wondered if it is true that once you answer a question you cant go back to it? thanks for your time

Reply to
daytime

The output of a "show running-config" or "show startup-config" shows the commands in a certian order, not necessarily the order they were entered. The exception to this of course is definately access-lists where the order of entries is kept intact by the IOS.

There have been very few mix-ups discovered where the router would not accept a set of commands in the order as they appear in the configuration. In most cases, the commands are accepted with a warning message but are still accepted, such as this case.

Just tested your dilemma on a 2600 series running IP base IOS version

12.3.22. From a clean default configuration, I entered configuration mode, entered "line vty 0 15", then entered the login command. The message "% Login disabled on line XX, until 'password' is set" appeared but the configuration retained the command.

My response is to accept the answer as "line vty 0 15" (or 0 4), "login", "password XXXXX" just like you wrote below depite the warning from the IOS when the login command is entered before the password.

=========== Scott Perry =========== Indianapolis, Indiana ________________________________________

Reply to
Scott Perry

yes-thats what happened at my college-many thanks guys-much appreciated-just a quick question-is it true if you dont answer a question on the CCNA you can go back to it later? TIA

Reply to
daytime

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.