BR500e and BR340 Bridges

Hello. I have a legacy network of 4 or 5 br500 and br340 bridges. I need to add a node to this network. I have read that there are some compatibility issues with these older units.

Since Cisco no longer supports them, the newsgroups are my only resource!

Aironet BR500E V8.24 appears to be the firware revision.

The config of my root bridge looks like:

Bitrate : 1_11 Mb/s Radio : 4800-A Root : on Frequency : 2412 MHz Carrier : US_Can Mode : bridge_only Power :

100 Autoreg : on Nodes : 4 connected

---------------------------------------- The privacy settings look like this:

Encrypt radio packets off Client authentication modes allowed open Set the keys Key number for transmit a key number from 1 to 4

--------------------------------------- Does this mean that WEP is NOT turned on?

I've tried just passivly finding this info out by using netstumbler and a laptop with a B/G card but netstumbler doesn't detect ANY signal.

This system is slated to be forklifted out next year, but I need to get a node up and running asap. I'm looking for advice on a unit to purchase as a stop gap measure to get another building online.

Thanks in advance!!

-Guy

Reply to
Guy Noir
Loading thread data ...

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Guy Noir) writes: | Hello. I have a legacy network of 4 or 5 br500 and br340 bridges. I | need to add a node to this network. I have read that there are some | compatibility issues with these older units.

I prefer to say that some of the newer units have compatibility issues with the older ones. :) Note that BR500 and BR34x are the same thing.

| Since Cisco no longer supports them, the newsgroups are my only | resource! | | Aironet BR500E V8.24 appears to be the firware revision. | | The config of my root bridge looks like: | | Bitrate : 1_11 Mb/s Radio : 4800-A

Since you have a 4800A radio you are free to upgrade to the latest firmware (8.81) if you like.

| Root : on Frequency : 2412 MHz Carrier : | US_Can | Mode : bridge_only Power :

bridge_only means that it will not accept associations from ordinary client nodes.

| 100 | Autoreg : on Nodes : 4 connected | | ---------------------------------------- | The privacy settings look like this: | | Encrypt radio packets off | Client authentication modes allowed open | Set the keys | Key number for transmit | a key number from 1 to 4 | | --------------------------------------- | Does this mean that WEP is NOT turned on?

Yes. And since Autoreg is on anyone with another BR500/34x could connect to your network.

| I've tried just passivly finding this info out by using netstumbler and | a laptop with a B/G card but netstumbler doesn't detect ANY signal.

That's probably because of the bridge_only mode.

| This system is slated to be forklifted out next year, but I need to get | a node up and running asap. I'm looking for advice on a unit to | purchase as a stop gap measure to get another building online.

Why not pick up another BR500/34x on eBay?

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

Thanks for the replys Dan! Most informative.

-Aaron

Reply to
Guy Noir

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.