Booting from flash with a 7206

Ok! I have a bizarre dilemma on my hands :-)

I have a 7206 router that is running IOS 11.1. It has 128megs of DRAM and 4 megs of flash ram. It has one of the earlier 20 meg PCMCIA cards, and a newer 64 meg PCMCIA card.

I want to upgrade the router to 12.4.

Due to the size restrictions (12.4 being big), the boot image has to be on the 64 meg PCMCIA card.

The 11.1 Boot helper does not recognize the card.

I have a 12.0(3) boot helper on the 20 meg PCMCIA flash card, which is recognized by the earlier version.

What I'd like to do is have the router boot with the 12.0(3) boot helper off of the 20 meg PCMCIA flash card, then once it comes up far enough, have it boot the main system image from the 64 meg PCMCIA card.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? I've modified the config files on the system to point to the appropriate files, but whenever I do a reload, the system still loads the 11.1 boot helper image (which is unable to see the 64 meg PCMCIA card that has the full 12.4 image).

Any help would be greatly appreciated...!

Reply to
adsaero
Loading thread data ...

how? have you tried the "boot bootldr" and "boot system" config commands?

-gerald

Reply to
Gerald Krause

Hey Gerald! Yep; These are the boot lines that I have in my config:

boot system disk0:c7200-adventerprisek9-mz.124-4.T1.bin 255.255.255.255 boot bootldr slot0:c7200-boot-mz.120-31.S2.bin

The idea being that it would use slot0: to boot the boot helper image, and then once the boot helper image is loaded, the system will recognize the disk0: device and then boot the system image.

Unfortunately, even with these config lines, the system still boots the ROM helper image, which is version 11.1, which cannot recognize the 64 meg PCMCIA card in disk0:

Thanks for the response - hope you can help out...! :-)

Reply to
adsaero

ok. what npe do you have and can you paste all the output while booting up?

not sure, but trying :)

-gerald

Reply to
Gerald Krause

It's an NPE 200... here's the output:

System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(13)CA, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Copyright (c) 1997 by cisco Systems, Inc. C7200 processor with 131072 Kbytes of main memory

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC Self decompressing the image : ###########################################################################= ###########################################################################= ################################### [OK]

%PA-2-UNDEFPA: Undefined Port Adaptor type 108 in bay 4 %OIR-3-SEATED: Insert/removal failed (slot 4), check card seating %OIR-3-SEATED: Insert/removal failed (slot 4), check card seating CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC= CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC Read 2953616 bytes from file slot0:c7200-inu-mz_111-24_CA.bin Self decompressing the image : ###########################################################################= ###########################################################################= ###########################################################################= ###################################### [OK]

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph (c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph (c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc. 170 West Tasman Drive San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) 7200 Software (C7200-INU-M), Version 11.1(24)CA, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Synced to mainline version: 11.1(24) Copyright (c) 1986-1999 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Mon 18-Jan-99 16:45 by pwade Image text-base: 0x600088D0, data-base: 0x60564000

cisco 7206 (NPE200) processor with 122880K/8192K bytes of memory. R5000 processor, Implementation 35, Revision 2.1 (512KB Level 2 Cache) Last reset from power-on Bridging software. X=2E25 software, Version 2.0, NET2, BFE and GOSIP compliant.

4 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interfaces. 1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface. 16 Serial network interfaces. 125K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 4096K bytes of packet SRAM memory.

16384K bytes of Flash PCMCIA card at slot 0 (Sector size 128K).

4096K bytes of Flash internal SIMM (Sector size 256K).

Press RETURN to get started!

%PA-2-UNDEFPA: Undefined Port Adaptor type 108 in bay 4 %OIR-3-SEATED: Insert/removal failed (slot 4), check card seating %OIR-3-SEATED: Insert/removal failed (slot 4), check card seating %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to up %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Ethernet1/0, changed state to up %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Ethernet1/1, changed state to up %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Ethernet1/2, changed state to up %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Ethernet1/3, changed state to up %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial2/0, changed state to down %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial2/1, changed state to down %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial2/2, changed state to down %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial2/3, changed state to down %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial2/4, changed state to down %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial2/5, changed state to down %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial2/6, changed state to down %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial2/7, changed state to down %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial3/0, changed state to up %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial3/1, changed state to down %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial3/2, changed state to down %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial3/3, changed state to down %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial3/4, changed state to down %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial3/5, changed state to down %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial3/6, changed state to down %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial3/7, changed state to down %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted -- Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) 7200 Software (C7200-INU-M), Version 11.1(24)CA, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Synced to mainline version: 11.1(24) Copyright (c) 1986-1999 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Mon 18-Jan-99 16:45 by pwade %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to down %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet1/0, changed state to down %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet1/1, changed state to down %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet1/2, changed state to down %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet1/3, changed state to down %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial2/0, changed state to down %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial2/1, changed state to down %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial2/2, changed state to down %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial2/3, changed state to down %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial2/4, changed state to down %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial2/5, changed state to down %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial2/6, changed state to down %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial2/7, changed state to down %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial3/0, changed state to up %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial3/1, changed state to down %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial3/2, changed state to down %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial3/3, changed state to down %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial3/4, changed state to down %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial3/5, changed state to down %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial3/6, changed state to down %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial3/7, changed state to down %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Ethernet1/3, changed state to administratively down %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial2/0, changed state to administratively down %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial2/1, changed state to administratively down %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial2/2, changed state to administratively down %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial2/3, changed state to administratively down %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial2/4, changed state to administratively down %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial2/5, changed state to administratively down %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial2/6, changed state to administratively down %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial2/7, changed state to administratively down %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial3/1, changed state to administratively down %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial3/3, changed state to administratively down %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial3/4, changed state to administratively down %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial3/5, changed state to administratively down %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial3/6, changed state to administratively down %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial3/7, changed state to administratively down %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet1/0, changed state to up %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet1/1, changed state to up %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet1/2, changed state to up Router>

Router>

Reply to
adsaero

#########################################################################################################################################################################################

Make sure that your boot image matches your IOS image...I see OIR and card identification issues in your info.

Reply to
slim

hm, no messages regarding your "boot" configurations. what is the value of the confreg - is the "ignore nvram" bit active?

btw: haven't you mentioned a 20mb card in slot0 in your first posting? what other files are on this card?

-gerald

Reply to
Gerald Krause

Well, that's part of the problem - the boot helper image I have is the latest one I can use - beyond that it's too large to be supported on the existing 7200 router... Cisco recommends using this boot image to boot system images beyond that version (ie, the version difference is OK). The OIR messages you see are because the boot helper image it is presently using (which is not the one I want it to use - the crux of my problem) doesn't suppor the card the OIR messages are referencing..

Reply to
adsaero

I was thinking that I my problem lies somewhere in the confreg... which bit is the "ignore nvram" bit? I suspect it is NOT active and probably should be...

The 20meg card is indeed in slot0... the only other file on that card is the existing 11.1 boot helper image, but I'm afraid to delete it for fear of not being able to boot the router at all...

Reply to
adsaero

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.