Bonded T1 with 1720 or 2620

Need recommendation on which router to use:

Currently running a T1 line with Cisco 1720 router (32MB DRAM and 8MB Flash) running IOS 12.2. Company planning on increasing the bandwidth by bonding 2 T1s. Will the current 1720 router be resourcefully enough to handle and perform decently with a second WIC card?

Need recommendation on whether to stay with this 1720 router or go with a Cisco 2620.

Any idea on the requirement in terms of IOS/DRAM memory/FLASH for both 1720 and 2620 in order to run 2 WIC cards for bonding 2 T1s?

Thanks.

BV

Reply to
bavien
Loading thread data ...

Trash both and get a used 1841?

First off, you don't need DRAM/Flash for running two T1s. The only thing you need DRAM/Flash for is running the IOS image you want to run. A 2nd T1 doesn't use up more memory (over a tiny slight change in buffer space, barely registerable). Multinklink and/or IP cef have been part of IOS for a long long time. MLFR not so long.

The 2620 isn't a huge step up over the 1720. My rule of thumb was always one T1 in a 1720, 2-3 T1s for the 2610/2620 (assuming no NAT/CBAC). The 2600 really can't push much more than that. If you are looking to get another used box, I'd look at a used 1841 instead, although it uses different WIC cards than the 1720 did. (the WIC-1DSU-T1 isn't supported on the 1841).

Then you'll have to match the method used by the other side for running the dual T1. (ie. MLPPP or IP cef load balanced).

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Thanks for the quick response Doug.

Happen to know the WIC name for router 1841 (if I go with 1841)?

Any particular reason NOT going with 1720?

Thanks again.

BV

Reply to
bavien

WIC-1DSU-T1-V2

(ie. only the V2 models work in the ISR and any future models).

It doesn't generally have the capacity to push many packets. I've seen them run out of steam after 2-2.5Mbps or so of sustained traffic (ie. you don't get your full 2 T1s worth). The 2610/2620 run out of steam around 4-5Mbps.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Very helpful. Thanks again...

BV

Reply to
bavien

Any particular IOS image that I need in order to run 2 WICs (whether using 1720/2620 or 1841)?

The current IOS image on my 1720 is c1700-sy-mz-122-46.bin

Thanks.

BV

Reply to
bavien

Cisco Feature Navigator says for your 1720

MLPPP requires IOS 12.0T or newer. (Not sure if it even goes back to 11 anymore)

IP CEF load balancing requires IOS (can't find feature name, probably 11.0)

MLFR (unlikely to be used) requires IOS 12.3T (or special 12.2 releases).

So, you're well set for it as it is.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Just a warning, Before you tell your boss what you need call the carrier and ask what their bonding/load balancing method is. If you order has already been placed for the Bonded set you can ask for your "cut sheet" which will give you all the specifics you need to turn up the link. In my area Verizon and MCI are both now deploying only on what was MCI's UUNet which is MLFR.

That means that are taking everyone off of the Verizon infrastructure one at a time as they can and moving them over. MLFR is still alive, very well and Very widely used.

Tom

Reply to
Tom.Philly

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.